Resin separating from wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jojomcdugal

I guess I need some help. I look at all the pretty pictures that people post of their first cast and think hey I can do that. Well it appears I was wrong. I don't have any set up for pressure or vacuum and don't necessarily want to get into that, I just want to be able to cast a few pieces of scraps when I come across them. I am using the Castin' Craft resin that I can get locally. It cures great every time but it completely separates from the wood once it is cured. I have tried 3 different kinds of wood (all completely dry), amboyna, manzanita, and maple. What would cause the resin to separate from the wood? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I guess I need some help. I look at all the pretty pictures that people post of their first cast and think hey I can do that. Well it appears I was wrong. I don't have any set up for pressure or vacuum and don't necessarily want to get into that, I just want to be able to cast a few pieces of scraps when I come across them. I am using the Castin' Craft resin that I can get locally. It cures great every time but it completely separates from the wood once it is cured. I have tried 3 different kinds of wood (all completely dry), amboyna, manzanita, and maple. What would cause the resin to separate from the wood? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well, I have no experience with that resin and I only cast with woods that have been stabilised and my blanks are cured in a pressure pot so, different methods but, one thing that is common with oily woods is that they don't cast that well unless very well prepared, the first 2 woods you mentioned are in this category but maple, I would think it would separate like the others so, I'm a bit lost on that one.

Now, most separations are easy to repair using medium CA and a clamp or 2, some pics would certainly help.

I understand that you want to cast but you don't want to invest in the correct/proper equipment and that is OK, however, you want to think about casting only with resin, fewer dramas but in the end is your decision.

Good luck

Cheers
George

Gary Beasley

Alumilite is the recommended product for worthless wood casting. It will bond with wood quite well, polyresins dont stick. There should be plenty of resources here to get you going in the right direction, take time to find them and study up.

JohnU

The problem is polyresin shrinks as it cures, which can cause it to pull away. Many use it successfully in these type of casting but it can be hit or miss. You would want to heat the wood and make sure it's not too oily or it will give you problems. Also, Warm the resin to thin it out so it gets in the pours and wood better. Your dyes or color additives can also effect how the resin adheres to the wood. Like said above, alumilite is the easiest solution to your problem because it adheres to wood better, but it will require a pressure tank and cost more, but also with alumilite you will get better color separation and swirl and less mixing of a new neutral color. Casting is an entirely new beast with its own set of issues. Take plenty of note and when you get positive results focus on being consistent with the next pours. Good luck!

Top Bottom