Fixing air bubbles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I did my first casting in a few years this afternoon, I cast deer antler into Silmar 41. I did a test turn on one blank and I'm mostly happy. I think I need a few more pieces of antler and I maybe need to cut them into smaller pieces. I uncovered a few spots where there were air bubbles. Most of them will turn out. One I don't think will. Will colored epoxy work to fill it or will it polish differently? Other thoughts I had were to recast the blank into the same color to fill in the air pockets, or turn it down smaller, fill the pockets with epoxy then cast clear over it.

I'm confident I know what I did wrong, I'm just out of practice on casting and didn't have the timing quite right.

More4dan

I had a chip out with inlace acrylic when I was nearly completed. I was able to fill with a dot of Medium CA and skim and sanded it. Couldn't see the repair. I've only had luck with clear, when I mix color I can never match exactly and it shows every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

KenV

Have had poor success with epoxy to patch PR because of the slight to not-so-slight yellow tint in the epoxy. Liquid Diamond claims yellow free but have not patched with it.

PR repairs PR but have only seen success with clear.

crokett

thanks for the update. I've decided I'm going to cast it again in PR. There's another low spot on it anyway that I could probably turn out but it would make drilling awkward. So I'll fill in the low section and take care of that air pocket. I could probably get away with the epoxy since its tinted black but...

Top Bottom