Resin costs? Anyone selling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

1)So how much do you all figure these home grown works of art will cost you per blank?

2) Is anyone going to start selling some of their home grown creations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I would start selling them if I could find enough time to actually cast any. need to get a lot more experience making them as well. I also whatn to come up with a dozen or so color combinations that work real well. I'm working on a white tiger stripe that Bev was asking for. hope to start a custom blank type thing. but the cost of this one would bring tears to your eyes after all the time I have had to put into it.
right now I'm running about two bucks per blank but I just started up as well. that cost will fall now that i have molds and all.

elody21

This is a disclaimer. This is not directed to anyone in particular at all and is in no way meant to upset anyone. I am just venting my frustrations.

A home cast blank maybe costs only $1.00 in resin but no one factors in the time and mess and learing curve involed. It would diffinetly not be worth the time and mess involved to sell PR blands for only $1.00. I have easily spent $250.00 or more for supplies to get these "$1.00" blanks. Does that price include the postage and gas involved in getting supplies, the time making and cleaning up, does it include the pearl additives,the stir sticks,the vasiline,mixing cups, the paper towels, the nitrle gloves, and the special masks for fumes? I made Bev some white tiger blanks and sent them to her. If I charged her for the time involved they probably would be $50.00 blanks! ( because of the failed attempts and the learing curve)She asked how much for them and I said If they work for her she can send me something in return, example: a couple of pen blanks. I did them as a personal challenge and not for any monetary rewards. I guess my point is, one is not only paying for the material but for the time, and experience involved, and NOT having to buy all of the materials and learn how to cast them. I guess it just irritates me when a $1.00 value is placed on homemade PR blanks. After all how much does it really cost you to make that $15.00 slimline or the $80.00 Barron?

PenWorks

Touche and well said Alice. I barley find time to cast my own lately. I sold my casts only once to a custom pen maker, they averaged 8.50 a blank and I thought he got a deal [:p] There is no dought, if someone had the right set up and was in the MOOD, they could whip out a bunch to sell at a lower cost. But that aint me either.[:eek:)] That was a nice jester with Bev, I did the same with Jim, I would rather give it away, then charge what I think they are really worth. ( Oh, don't ask anyone, I allready given all my free ones away allready [:D] ) I have no idea what Ed charges, but that is nice he found time to share is wonderfull castings with others.

Edited because I forgot to add my disclaimer.....

Casting PR can be hazordous to your health. Anyone who has been casting for a while, has lost way to many brain cells, and you should not pay any attention to what they are saying. [B)]

Fangar

Originally posted by elody21
<br />This is a disclaimer. This is not directed to anyone in particular at all and is in no way meant to upset anyone. I am just venting my frustrations.

A home cast blank maybe costs only $1.00 in resin but no one factors in the time and mess and learing curve involed. It would diffinetly not be worth the time and mess involved to sell PR blands for only $1.00. <b>I have easily spent $250.00 or more for supplies to get these "$1.00" blanks</b>. Does that price include the postage and gas involved in getting supplies, the time making and cleaning up, does it include the pearl additives,the stir sticks,the vasiline,mixing cups, the paper towels, the nitrle gloves, and the special masks for fumes? I made Bev some white tiger blanks and sent them to her. If I charged her for the time involved they probably would be $50.00 blanks! ( because of the failed attempts and the learing curve)She asked how much for them and I said If they work for her she can send me something in return, example: a couple of pen blanks. I did them as a personal challenge and not for any monetary rewards. I guess my point is, one is not only paying for the material but for the time, and experience involved, and NOT having to buy all of the materials and learn how to cast them. I guess it just irritates me when a $1.00 value is placed on homemade PR blanks. After all how much does it really cost you to make that $15.00 slimline or the $80.00 Barron?

Which is exactly why I buy Acetate and other pre made materials. Too many issues associated with making your own (Cost, Mess, Fumes, Results, Brittleness). And at the prices avaiable for the premade it is not worth the fuss for me. You guys do some great work though. It is always nice to look at.

Cheers,

James

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
<br />This is a disclaimer. This is not directed to anyone in particular at all and is in no way meant to upset anyone. I am just venting my frustrations.

A home cast blank maybe costs only $1.00 in resin but no one factors in the time and mess and learing curve involed. It would diffinetly not be worth the time and mess involved to sell PR blands for only $1.00. <b>I have easily spent $250.00 or more for supplies to get these "$1.00" blanks</b>. Does that price include the postage and gas involved in getting supplies, the time making and cleaning up, does it include the pearl additives,the stir sticks,the vasiline,mixing cups, the paper towels, the nitrle gloves, and the special masks for fumes? I made Bev some white tiger blanks and sent them to her. If I charged her for the time involved they probably would be $50.00 blanks! ( because of the failed attempts and the learing curve)She asked how much for them and I said If they work for her she can send me something in return, example: a couple of pen blanks. I did them as a personal challenge and not for any monetary rewards. I guess my point is, one is not only paying for the material but for the time, and experience involved, and NOT having to buy all of the materials and learn how to cast them. I guess it just irritates me when a $1.00 value is placed on homemade PR blanks. After all how much does it really cost you to make that $15.00 slimline or the $80.00 Barron?

Which is exactly why I buy Acetate and other pre made materials. Too many issues associated with making your own (Cost, Mess, Fumes, Results, Brittleness). And at the prices avaiable for the premade it is not worth the fuss for me. You guys do some great work though. It is always nice to look at.

Cheers,

James

James, I agree with you, and do not forget that the available acrylic blanks have a consistency in their looks. The worst case scenario would be that you have sold a person a pen made from the home brew resin blanks and she/he wants some more, looking the same as the first. Then you are screwed. I do not think that you really can reproduce the same color, pattern, sparkle etc.That is why I never started this self casting of blanks.

elody21

In response to James and Rudy.You are very right . Casting your own blanks is not for everyone. My goal in making my own resin blanks was not in any way to get a cheager resin blank.It never was. My goal like any other thing someone makes, is the satisfaction of making it yourself. Also to come up with unique blanks not able to get anywhere else. I am not satisfied to settle for what is avalible. So for most, the trouble and cost of casting is not for them, but for those of us who like to do everything for themselves it is perfect. It is, in it's self a "hobby" like any other hobby it takes supplies and $$. No different than stabilizing your own blanks or buying a $300.00 chain saw. and a $600.00 band saw so you can have "free" wood to make blanks!
After all, why bother making your own pens? You can buy them anywhere.

YoYoSpin

I'm with you, elody...the reason I'm casting these resin blanks is its fun (for me) and to have something I can't find anywhere else, like the clear-cast flag blanks.

BTW, have you heard the old woodturner's tale..."yes madam, that turning will be $10, and to make you a second matching one will cost $100."

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Alice--and everyone else out there casting your own resins--I certainly didn't mean to imply that a resin blank should cost $1.00. My statement, which could have used a bit of explanation, was that the cost per blank can be gotten down to $1.00 if you make these things by the gallon and that my figures do not include labor. Sorry if I mislead anyone on the forum. As for casting or not casting your own, I have a great reason for not doing it. I tried and made quite a few blanks. They ended up being disastrously ugly, probably due to my color-blindness. When I got looking for some "luxury" EPR (Ed's Poly Resin), APR (Alice's Poly Resin) or TPR (Ton'y Poly Resin), I expect the price to be significantly more than the cost...and for a unique pen, it will be worth it! [:D]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Make six...sell five...last one goes in a special drawer for myself [:)][:p]

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />
Originally posted by Fangar
<br />

Cheers,

James

James, I agree with you, and do not forget that the available acrylic blanks have a consistency in their looks. The worst case scenario would be that you have sold a person a pen made from the home brew resin blanks and she/he wants some more, looking the same as the first. Then you are screwed. I do not think that you really can reproduce the same color, pattern, sparkle etc.That is why I never started this self casting of blanks.

Daniel

Alice,
Not meaning to attack you, but simply to clear up what i see is a "Missreading" For lack of a better word. Also I tend to be a stickler for noticing jsut what was said and what that means. It is often very funny what people actually say rather than what they ment to say.
anyway. the original question was

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />1)So how much do you all figure these home grown works of art will cost you per blank?

My reply answered how much they cost me. the following answer was in reply to will I ever sell them. Yes I would in a custom blank sort of thing. I never mentioned what I would charge for them. two seperate questions, two seperate answers. neither of which stated a value of a home made blank.
I do agree with the point you made though. the material cost does not really have that much to do withthe final value of a Pen, Blank or amny other things we do. Labor and Talent or skill realy make up the bulk of pricing.

Fangar

<br />In response to James and Rudy.You are very right . Casting your own blanks is not for everyone. My goal in making my own resin blanks was not in any way to get a cheager resin blank.It never was. My goal like any other thing someone makes, is the satisfaction of making it yourself. Also to come up with unique blanks not able to get anywhere else. I am not satisfied to settle for what is avalible. So for most, the trouble and cost of casting is not for them, but for those of us who like to do everything for themselves it is perfect. It is, in it's self a "hobby" like any other hobby it takes supplies and $$. No different than stabilizing your own blanks or buying a $300.00 chain saw. and a $600.00 band saw so you can have "free" wood to make blanks!
After all, why bother making your own pens? You can buy them anywhere.

I agree with your points about the satisfaction of making your own. A valid point. Probably why I sew (At least my sewing machine is a Husqvarna [...Attempting to retain some "manliness"]) my own vinyl pen sleeves for my pens, and make my own pen boxes for truly special sets.

For me though, it is more of a finished product thing. Though there are some amazing home brews out there, I have not seen too many in my personal opinion that blow me away. And brittle is for peanut brittle, not blanks. It just kinda freaks me out to invest a ton of time and money into a near success.

Lastly though, as far as why make your own pens, when you can buy them anywhere? I think that question strays from the theory at hand here a bit. Otherwise, we would all have to grown our own trees to cut into blanks. [:D]

Maybe when I retire in 20 years [:(]

Cheers,

James

elody21

James,
My comment as far as questioning making your own pens was said to show that there is no different reason to make your own pens then there is to make your own blanks. So it, in no way strayed form the theory. And as for as your comment about nothing blowing you away. Everyone has their own opinion
You brought up brittleness more than once. I have never had a brittle pen blank home made of PR. I would not know about that

elody21

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />Alice,
Not meaning to attack you, but simply to clear up what i see is a "Missreading" For lack of a better word. Also I tend to be a stickler for noticing jsut what was said and what that means. It is often very funny what people actually say rather than what they ment to say.
anyway. the original question was

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />1)So how much do you all figure these home grown works of art will cost you per blank?

My reply answered how much they cost me. the following answer was in reply to will I ever sell them. Yes I would in a custom blank sort of thing. I never mentioned what I would charge for them. two seperate questions, two seperate answers. neither of which stated a value of a home made blank.
I do agree with the point you made though. the material cost does not really have that much to do withthe final value of a Pen, Blank or amny other things we do. Labor and Talent or skill realy make up the bulk of pricing.
Daniel,
It is ok. I very seldom stir up things. I suppose it was my turn.I guess I just did not want anyone to think that if they bought homemade PR was going to be some great bargain. I wrote at the beginning my comments were not directed at anyone.They really weren't. The $1.00 number just had been brought up before . I should have started a new post so as not to offend anyone. Also my nerves were on high gear because I has a huge graduation party for my son that afternoon at my house. My response REALLY was not at anyone directly. and you are right I took the comment about the $1.00 blanks personally,where I SHOULD NOT have,but I guess it opened up a chance to let people know the real cost. Sometimes it is very difficult to post things in a diplomatic way and my response about the $1.00 most diffinetly was a reaction and not a action. Sorry if I ranted.

Daniel

Alice,
I wasn't offended mearly trying to calrify. I really do share the "discounted Cost" idea with you. the real cost is much higher than merly a dollar in materials for sure. I have to set over the mold for at least a half hour alone if I want to add anything special to a blank. calculate that in time and what would have to be charged for a home brew to actually make it worhwhile. some post earlier mentioned the $8.00 range being a deal. I agree. think $25.00 a blank in my opinion.
But bottom line for me. it's in the making that i do it. don't think I'll stop buying the pre made stuff myself any time soon. In fact I just made a Gent pen from Bronze Acrylester as my resins and dyes set in it's box looking lonely and dejected.

Fangar

<br />James,
My comment as far as questioning making your own pens was said to show that there is no different reason to make your own pens then there is to make your own blanks. So it, in no way strayed form the theory. And as for as your comment about nothing blowing you away. Everyone has their own opinion
You brought up brittleness more than once. I have never had a brittle pen blank home made of PR. I would not know about that

Alice,

"My comment as far as questioning making your own pens was said to show that there is no different reason to make your own pens then there is to make your own blanks."

[;)]

Thanks for your thoughts. You are right about my opinion of home spun resins, which is why I said, "...in my personal opinion..." to begin with. I have read a bit about brittleness here which is why I brought it up. It seems that quite a few others are having the issue. I am certainly glad that you are not. Nonetheless, keep up the good work.
Thanks,

James

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Having made LOTS of pens from commercially available acrylics, some are easy to turn, others harder. And, if you want to be able to provide a "set", they are going to come closer to matching.

Material cost is "immaterial". We have poured our own and I have purchased from Ed (YOYOSPIN). Ed's is better than ours-easier to work and more consistent color. BUY from him-if he wants to sell. He enjoys making them and prices accordingly - I believe VERY reasonably. But don't sell these pens as "one of a set", instead sell them as "One of a kind!!" IF you buy 50 blanks, a few will be "stunners"-USE them judiciously!! Just as you would use an outstanding burl or incredible antler!

The rest are still "One of a kind". While they MAY not command a premium, they are closer to "Art" than turning commercial acrylic into a slimline. We have learned to pour our own not because of cost, but because we have ideas that we believe can be incorporated into this medium to create unique results. Since it's our idea, we hope to be more dedicated to making it work than someone else would.

So, I hope all penturners can create a "New" medium-the truly unique: home-made poly pen. If we keep it this way, the whole industry moves "upscale". WHY NOT!!

J. Fred Muggs

I agree that a buck apiece is nowhere near enough for a PR blank. Like many of you, I have to do them for the personal satisfaction of creating the unique design that can't be bought. I've done a dozen or so so far. Some, I've been pleased with, others have not met my expectations. But, that's true with most everything we do, is it not?

I almost wish this hadn't come up, though. I would have loved to buy some nice PR blanks from some of you for $1.00 each before you realized what it really costs to make them.[}:)][8D]

its_virgil

The original poster ask what "cost" of a P blank might be. Cost to me is what I pay for something. I think the cost of making a PR blank, once the process and formulas are mastered, and as Jay Pickens told me: "Don, It ain't rocket science", would not be much more than $1 to $1.50 per blank. This is calculating the resin, mold, dye, and powder costs for just that one blank. The dye, mold, and powder costs must be calculated for each blank...bla bla bla. BUT, selling blanks, i.e., the cost to you for one of my blanks would not be $1...This is where my labor and knowldege come in. Selling blanks for $6-10 would be fair, I think. Or as my dentits tells me: "The price of the filling material is $15, but knowing how and where to install the material is $250. Making precise measures and keeping good notes while making different colors will make duplicating the color or pattern a little more reliable. Just my thoughts.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom