Researching Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The question of controlling ivory distribution and illegal harvesting has led me to several websites this last couple days. One of them has this map:
attachment.php

The "push pins" are all locations that are, presently in a condition of war. (I believe all are "civil" wars, but thousands of PEOPLE are being killed).

I think any attempt to protect elephants will require local (African) enforcement, which is NOT likely with a war in progress.

What my research has led ME to conclude is this area of the world has MANY problems---it is unlikely the US can solve those problems---but it is interesting that the elephants are more protected than the people!!

Source: Wars in the World

Attachments

• africa wars.jpg
    africa wars.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

The human population on this planet has more than doubled in my lifetime. From 3 billion to 7 billion. It's expected to grow to 9 billion by the middle of this century. While many individual humans face incredible challenges to their existence in almost every corner of the globe, as a species the human race can't even remotely be considered threatened. At least by anything other than themselves (and in theory only, to date).

The population of African elephants has declined from more than 3 million to less than half a million in my life time. The decline can be attributed to many factors (e.g. high velocity lead poisoning, habitat loss....). The one common denominator in the factors is humans.

On an individual basis, few would agree that an individual elephant deserves more protection than an individual human. At the species level, which is more in need of protection? Humans or elephants?

To me the answer is not clear. I lean towards not worrying about the humans and hoping for a better outcome for the elephants. But there is no cost for me in that position. I would not be willing to give up my home or my life to give the greatly endangered Florida Panther a better chance at survival. Why should I expect more of any anybody living with elephants?

I'm glad I'm not entrusted with making policy decisions related to any of the matters touch on in this post. I wish those who are the best of luck. They are going to need a lot of it.

Ed (one of many, but none alike)

nativewooder

I do not believe in trying to change the world to fit my viewpoint. Rather I try to find ways to fit in with the rest of the world. It's not like Africa is the only source for Ivory. And while I have seen incredibly beautiful scrimshaw art, I have to feel that there are other materials that could be used.

In woodturning, as Countries disallowed export of woods they considered too rare and valuable, I quit looking for those woods. And I know some well-known turners who have done the same, and when their customers still wanted a particular wood, they found it and brought it to their favorite woodturner. It's amazing how many people have rare and expensive pieces of wood in their homes that they bought many years ago.:RockOn:

Top Bottom