Cut Tree Stands Back Up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

That happened to me when we were clearing a downed tree off the road during a storm last summer. It was a large pin tree that we cut a few small branches off to get access to the trunk and then cut the trunk into a few pieces. After the last cut, the tree stood right back up.
Fortunately the tree stood up slowly so I was able to get the running chain saw free of the tree as it stood up.
The other guys on my crew that night just kind of looked dumb-founded for a minute....

MarkD

Luckily he was clear of the tree when it stood up. Can you imagine telling people that you got hit in the head by a tree as it was standing back up? :eek:

carlmorrell

I lost 10 oak trees in Hurricane Fran. Three were 100 years old, the rest 60. Many did essentially the same thing. After cutting down to the main trunks, I would cut off 20 inch blocks. I had to keep an eye out for the one that would send the remaining trunk upright. I even might still have video of me doing that. Not that it is worth looking for.

SDB777

My apologies if this has already been posted, but this is a great video of a tree that stands up after it is felled. Enjoy

Magic tree stands back upright after being chopped down to the ground

Actually the tree was not 'felled', that term is used when a tree gets 'cut down'......

I've cut three like that in the last two months.

Root ball trees...typically will stand back up if you cut enough mass off the stem. It is not that uncommon, well...maybe it is if your not if you're cutting enough trees to see them? Red Oaks and Lolloby Pines are my 'normal root ballers'....especially on the road side due to above average amounts of water reducing the soils 'holding power'.

Scott (I like dead trees too) B

Last edited:
Top Bottom