Ren Wax smell question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

OK, just recieved my first Ren Wax can and when i opened it I was nearly knocked down. It smelled like a cross between old shoe polish from the can and the corner gas station. Anyone else surprised at the odd smell when they opened the can?

I sure hope this stuff works as good as you guys say it does.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Everytime this topic comes up, I feel like I'm such a minority. I've said it before and I'll say it again- I really like the smell. In the past there have been one or two people who 'fessed up to liking the smell as well. TSW does smell good too, and I understand why many people would prefer that smell. And none of this changes the fact that Mike was taken aback by the smell, but I just wanted to come to the defense of poor old Ren Wax! [:)][:)]

Mikey

I never said I didn't like it, just that it was a shock to me when I opened the can. Heck, I like going to the gas station because the fumes smell good to me.[:0] I think a coconut smell would be better, but I'm happy with whatever works. Can't smell any worse than casing PR in the basement[B)]

LEAP

I don't know about other spouses by my wife takes a liking to about 10% of the pens I make and they end up in her purse or on her desk. I guess she is willing to put up with a few odors and some sawdust.

SteveRussell

Hello,

As one of the planets most vocal endorsers of Microcrystalline waxes I can assure you that Ren Wax is as good as you have heard. Ren Wax is a microcrystalline wax that contains White Spirit (the solvent you smelled). Here is a bit of chemical info on woodturnings "miracle wax" from an article I wrote on waxes for woodturners... (Complete article in my educational library)

Microcrystalline Wax is a petroleum wax containing branched and cyclic saturated hydrocarbons, as well as normal alkanes from deoiled residual bright stock lube oil streams. Microcrystalline waxes have a crystalline structure much smaller than totally natural waxes and have a very high resistance to moisture, alcohol, acids and fingerprints.

Microcrystalline waxes are obtained from the residual fraction of crude oil distillation (Petrolatum) or from crude oil tank bottoms. Hard grade microcrystalline wax (from crude oil tank bottoms) has a penetration of less than 11 dmm at 25 degrees Centigrade and a melting point of approximately 60 to 93 degrees Centigrade. Plastic grades of microcrystalline wax (from Petrolatums) have penetrations greater than 11 dmm at 25 degrees Centigrade.

The smell dissipates quickly and does not linger in the wood. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

oldtoolsniper

Thanks Steve!
After that rather simple explanation the reason it works is as clear as mud![}:)]

Wow I just got my can today and it says I can shine my boots with it. 23 years as a Marine and I never found this great stuff? I am gonna go try and shine up my old combat boots.

SteveRussell

Other Ren Wax Uses...

I use Ren wax for many different jobs around the house including: waxing my wife's Italian leather purse, waxing the seats on our two Mercedes, leather recliners, glass objects, picture frames, all appliance fronts in the kitchen, exposed brass on some antique lamps, exterior door handles, the lathe bedways and tailstock ram, hunting stuff and more. It's quite a product!

A friend of mine even uses it to wax his cars... I'm going to try that next. [:D] Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom