Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone i am a new member and turner. i have a question about finishes. i have been using eee cream, and then shellwax cream seems to work good. would like to know if anyone else has ever used these products and what they think. also if i want a higher gloss finish what are some ideas.

thanks for input

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Alan,

The finishes you mention are not durable at all. I would suggest you do a search from the home page on finishes. Also, check the library forum. There are some CA finishing articles there.

Enduro, lacquer and Unoxal are other keywords for searches. The advantage of a site like this is that it helps new turners to learn finishing techniques without the trial and error so many of us went through.

CaptG

Hi Allen and welcome to the site. I use EEE all the time, wood and acrylic. It does a good polishing job. I always use a clean cloth after EEE to remove residue. The shellwax is a good fricton polish, but like most other friction polish will wear of with handling. Some feel that is fine as the wood will have a more natural look. For a higher gloss and longer lasting finish do a search on this site for ca finish. Many swear by this finish as it is very glossy and lasts a long time. Hope this helps.

Verne

I would suggest going into the library and watching Russ Fairfields two videos on finishing. He and many others have taken the time to help us all with our own demons where it comes to finishing.
After turning for over four years, learning by doing and reading, just yesterday I spent nearly three hours watching and reading what these pro's offer on this site as well as the others.
I get a really good finish with CA, however, after watching Russ's video I can see that I am working way to hard to attain my finishes. So as soon as I get done (do you ever get done?) tweaking my website I'm going to the garage.
Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom