Removing labels from a bottle.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

I wish to know how to remove a metalic label from a bottle of Scotch, glue it to a brass tube and clear cast. Any suggestions how to do this please.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteRev

You can soak the bottle in water with some ammonia added. After a short while, the label often slides right off. This works for most, though a few places use stronger glue that doesn't dissolve well.

Depending on how they made their labels, there is a small risk that the colors might bleed, but I've had few problems.

Steve

Stephen

You can soak the bottle in water with some ammonia added. After a short while, the label often slides right off. This works for most, though a few places use stronger glue that doesn't dissolve well.

Depending on how they made their labels, there is a small risk that the colors might bleed, but I've had few problems.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Will do it as suggested.
Stephen

Randy_

You can soak the bottle in water with some ammonia added. After a short while, the label often slides right off. This works for most, though a few places use stronger glue that doesn't dissolve well......

That will work for paper labels because the water/ammonia solution will soak through the paper and dissolve the glue. Not so sure it will work for a metal label.

I don't know about using a hair dryer either.....thgey can get pretty hot and you might cause the bottle to shatter. Think I might try putting the bottle in boiling water to see if that will do the trick. Don't just plunge the bottle into boiling water, it might shatter, again. Put bottle in a pan with cold water and then heat the pan until the water boils.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
the foil won't hold out the water and ammonia, but it will slow it down.

When I was brewing beer, everyone saved their bottles for me. I spent more
time washing beer bottles than making beer. Really.

I used to soak the bottles in water an ammonia overnight if they had foil
labels and they would slide off. Paper labels would soften and come off in
20 or 30 minutes.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus

Steve

Don't forget to drink the Scotch prior to beginning this process!! :drink::party::drink:

Top Bottom