remote switch for dust collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steamshovel

I didn't know where to post this, if I'm in the wrong place, let me know. I need a remote on-off switch for my dust collector, my old one gave up. I just have one thing to turn on or off with a remote and that is my dust collector. Does anybody know where I can buy one at a good price maybe $20-$30.

Thanks in advance

Preston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JH Customs

Home Depot has a remote switch for about 15 bucks. Box plugs into outlet, machine plugs into it. Leave machine switch on. The switch works off of a rf frequency. They have about 4 with different frequencies so you can have several. They work great

Tom T

I bought my first one at WC.
I recently bought one at harbor fright, had never been in one before. But they opened one near me. Both are wireless. Work great. WC on my dust collector. HF on my shop vac, I keep the hose near the lathe and it is great for getting up acrylic shavings and even better on wood. I could never get to my shoppe vac to turn it on. It's the best few bucks I've spent in a long time.

KBs Pensnmore

My DC has a magnetic switch which means that current has to flow through the switch before it will operate. What I did to set up a remote (not wireless), was to remove the switch and fit small jumper wires in between the terminals from the inlet and to the motor, and fit the existing switch into a sealed box with a power lead in and a power lead out with a socket mounted on the end to a point close to the DC. Plug the DC into the socket on the end of the lead, and presto instant remote.
Total cost sealed box $2.50, inlet power lead from disused power tool $free, socket plus extension lead $5.00. Total cost $7.50.
Hope this helps someone.
Kryn

I wired my Vac to a switch. Am I the only one that turned it on when i walk in the shop and leaves it on?

Nope, I have my DC on a separate circuit from all the other plugs in the shop... the switch is over the work bench and part of the "start up" procedure... I have the unit itself in a separate closet built outside the shop on the end so I don't hear any thing but a hum when it runs.

steamshovel

I have to apologize for posting about my dust collector remote switch giving up and where to buy another. I took it apart and put it back together and I even checked the battery and it was good, so I tried it and it works. Now I have no idea what I did. I have a spare battery and it is as good as the one in the remote. I thank everyone who responded.

Again I apologize.

Preston

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I wired my Vac to a switch. Am I the only one that turned it on when i walk in the shop and leaves it on?

Nope, I have my DC on a separate circuit from all the other plugs in the shop... the switch is over the work bench and part of the "start up" procedure... I have the unit itself in a separate closet built outside the shop on the end so I don't hear any thing but a hum when it runs.

I am like Chuck I have a seperate switched controlled outlet for the dust collector and another for my air cleaner. The dust collector is in a seperate room and only goes on when I am using tools that need it. I will usually put the air cleaner on if I am doing work that results in alot of dust. Lathe work on pens does not. My switches are right by the door so I can easily see at the end of the day all switches are off as I leave. Now I will leave the air cleaner on for an extra hour or 2 if the work was real dusty but will write myself a note that I did leave it on. My shop is not that big that I could not walk over to the wall and turn the dust collector on. I understand if you have a large shop but otherwise to me not needed. I am sure I would lose that remote just like the TV remote gets lost.:)

Top Bottom