Surgery of rotator cuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I have torn my rotator cuff and have been scheduled for surgery in Sep.
My surgeon specializes in Arthroscopy surgery which is a lot less intrusive than cutting you open. He said the recovery time is the same 6 months but a lot less pain. Has anyone here had this procedure ??????
Guess I am going to be done with turning for 6 months.:frown::frown:
Lin

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I nuked my shoulder about 8 years ago and had RC repair. I have three 3/8" scars...chicks dig scars! Prior to the surgery I couldn't lift my arm farther than parallel to the ground. A few weeks of rehab and it had normal range of motion. Do exactly what the surgeon and PT's tell you, you'll be turning before 6 months.

Last edited:

lorbay

I nuked my shoulder about 8 years ago and had RC repair. I have three 3/8" scars...chicks dig scars! Prior to the surgery I couldn't lift my arm farther than parallel to the ground. A few weeks of rehab and it had normal range of motion. Do exactly what the surgeon and PT's tell you, you'll be turning before 6 months.

This sounds very encouraging. And you bet I will do as I am told, I've been married for 40 yrs. lol. Yes dear.

Lin

tim self

My Dad had it done a couple months ago and he's 75. Tough old bird and every time he "tried" to do something he shouldn't, it told him so. He's wondering why he put it off so long. He too couldn't move it more than parallel.

Rounder

I had this done 3 years ago. 5 little scars and movement again. I also could not lift above parallel or reach across the table and push in an electrical plug. As I was told, if you are not going to do the therapy, you are wasting your time and money getting the surgery. And make sure you are comfortable with your Doc. My first one came in and told me I had a massive RC tear. Call me when you are ready for surgery. So I called back and got copies of my MRI and went to another Doc who took the time to explain things to me. GOOD LUCK with the rehab.

Not sure if that is my problem or not... I thought I had Bursitis in my left shoulder, it hurt to move the arm and getting a shirt off was a chore.... then I was loading my lawn tractor onto my truck over at my mechanics shop.... I was riding up his ramps when they slipped off my tail gate and dropped me and the tractor... I fell backwards and landed on my shoulder and fortunately he was able to catch the tractor to keep it from fall over backwards on top of me... it just aggravated the problem and for a few days my shoulder ached all the time... it's back to just aching at night now....

hjdiamond2

I had this procedure 3 year ago and I went through water aerobic therapy. I was back on the lathe in 2 Month. The rehab is the most important part of your recovery. By the way I had 2 tear and now I am completely recovered.

Rounder

Not sure if that is my problem or not... I thought I had Bursitis in my left shoulder, it hurt to move the arm and getting a shirt off was a chore.... then I was loading my lawn tractor onto my truck over at my mechanics shop.... I was riding up his ramps when they slipped off my tail gate and dropped me and the tractor... I fell backwards and landed on my shoulder and fortunately he was able to catch the tractor to keep it from fall over backwards on top of me... it just aggravated the problem and for a few days my shoulder ached all the time... it's back to just aching at night now....

You can put off getting it checked, but if you have a torn rotator cuff, the muscles will atrophy from lack of use and make it more difficult to repair. One of my tears had evidently been torn for awhile and it made it more difficult to get a good repair when sewing it back in place.

Rumnut

I tore one tendon completely off and had a small tear in a second tendon after falling from a roof. The first was reattached using ceramic plugs and screws the second which was also torn at the bone but was deemed to be a small tear was not repaired as to do a proper repair the surgeon would have had to unattach the remaining tendon then reattach it again using the ceramic plugs and anchors and that is a procedure that for some reason they dont do here. Eighteen months since surgery, and I now have limited use of my left arm but have been told by the sugeon that sorry this is as good as it will get. Which is a plus in the sense that just prior to being wheeled into surgery, the surgeon told me that he was not hopefull of achieving a successful repair. Prior to sugery I could not lift my arm at all so again having some movement back is a big plus.
Good luck with your surgery and as previously mentioned follow surgeons and Physios instruction and all should be good.

Cheers Rumnut

Paladin

I had my rotator cuff and labrum repaired. Rehab is the most important part. Do what you are told and don't slack off. You MUST do your exercises at home, not just in the rehab place.

Be prepared for trouble sleeping. I was a stomach sleeper, until the first night with my repaired shoulder all trussed up. You can only sleep flat on your back, for quite awhile. Do you know about melatonin? If not research it and have some on hand your first night post surgery.

Are you staying overnight in the hospital? If that is an option, I would do it. I had mine done early in the AM and was feeling pretty good after dinner, so I went home. Thought I would be more comfortable in my own bed. Big mistake. If staying the one night is an option, I would do it. The first night can be a tough one. I had my wife running around all night and she could not sleep, either. Better to let the pros help you through it.

Good luck.

John Pratt

+1 what others have said. I have had both shoulders done (the Infantry life is a tough life). The surgery is the easy part. The physical Therapy can be brutal at times but is vitally important as well as the exercises they tell you to do at home. You almost have to think of it as work and the pay is having a shoulder that works properly. A lot of people blow off the home stuff and they don't really push it as far as the PT wants to take it. If you don't follow the doctor and the PT's orders there is a chance you could be even worse off than before. I have an Army buddy who blew off a lot of the PT and ended up with frozen shoulder syndrome. Trust me, you don't want that. By the same token, don't go too far, too fast. You don't want to damage what the doc just fixed. follow their orders and ask lots of questions along the way about your progress and how far they think you can take it.

suefox51

I'm in week 7 following my surgery - I had the right shoulder done last year - piece of cake (IMHO), this time the left should and it was more involved - just out of the sling which I was kept in for 6 weeks - PT started the next day following surgery. Now, when I go to PT, they make ME move it instead of them!
Full range of motion on right shoulder - took about 4 months.
On the "new" shoulder - I expect full range of motion - the pain can be a bummer when it rains, just take your pain meds and you should be fine.
BTW, I was back to pen turning after 5 weeks - just used the left hand as little as possible!
Hope this helps
Sue:party:

lorbay

I had my rotator cuff and labrum repaired. Rehab is the most important part. Do what you are told and don't slack off. You MUST do your exercises at home, not just in the rehab place.

Be prepared for trouble sleeping. I was a stomach sleeper, until the first night with my repaired shoulder all trussed up. You can only sleep flat on your back, for quite awhile. Do you know about melatonin? If not research it and have some on hand your first night post surgery.

Are you staying overnight in the hospital? If that is an option, I would do it. I had mine done early in the AM and was feeling pretty good after dinner, so I went home. Thought I would be more comfortable in my own bed. Big mistake. If staying the one night is an option, I would do it. The first night can be a tough one. I had my wife running around all night and she could not sleep, either. Better to let the pros help you through it.

Good luck.
Marc I won't have the pleasure of staying over night as this will be done in a day clinic. Yes I have heard of Melatonin and I don't think you can get it in Canada.

Thanks to all who have responded, its all very encouraging.

Lin.

Paladin

Good luck.
Marc I won't have the pleasure of staying over night as this will be done in a day clinic. Yes I have heard of Melatonin and I don't think you can get it in Canada.

Thanks to all who have responded, its all very encouraging.

Lin.

Wow, I thought Canadian single payer was the way to go. Maybe not.

Top Bottom