Reloading dies, what to look for.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RosezPenZ

I am finally going to start trying my hand at making my own bullet pens. I've been practing on some 6mls my brother had around not using. Thanks to someone's idea about using an old adjustable mandrel. Soldering in the tips was not going well. So talked to my brother again. He will let me use his reloader :)-0) I just have to buy the dies. Almost $40 here in town!?!?
So went to eBay...now I need advice. Is it ok to buy used, does brand matter? Anything to look for? It's .243 shells and I only intend to make pens not actually reload.
A friend gave me nearly 200 brass casings and another will clean them for me so I think this is my last hurtle. ( ok still gotta get the soldering down for the twist mech. I know, ;( )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I looked on ebay under .243 and there are plenty of choices. Im not sure if you will save money after shipping. RCBS, Lyman, lee,Hornady, are all standard brands that will work.

Last edited:

ren-lathe

Last edited:

lago

In addition to Midwayusa.com, check www.grafs.com. They have a flat rate for shipping. Usually Lee dies are the cheapest and do work good. I have 2 sets of their dies. Don't forget the shell holder and sizing lube.

FWIW, I make cartridge pens but don't do any soldering at all. If it's a 30 cal. bullet, I melt the lead out of the bullet and then slightly ream the inside of the bullet and glue a 7mm tube in the bullet with JW Weld. The tube is cut to length and then seated in the bullet. If it is a smaller bullet, I seat the bullet and then insert the 7mm tube thru the primer pocket and cut to length. I then glue the tube in place with JW Weld. So far, had not had any problems.

Lago

KenV

Rose,

I have all the reloading gear, and only use it rarely with pens. The exception is trying to recover deformed necks on blanks fired at funeral services.

Les Elm (rd ab penman) produced a great set of instructions. I like JBWeld better than CA glue, but solder is not needed. I use mostly Barnes bullets and avoid lead concerns.

frank123

One thing you may not know: Never run a rifle casing into a sizing die without lubricating it first (there are many case lubes available, I like the Dillon spray stuff).

If you don't you will likely end up with a stuck casing with the rim probably ripped off, and removing them is definitely not fun.

RosezPenZ

Thanks guys, already had a supply of bullets...got dies off eBay... Still need the holder though. Brass is being cleaned this weekend.
I wanted to use the reloading gear because it will put the tip in the brass at the same place consitantly for me...since had access to reloader just seemed like the route to go for me. I've read and reread all those tutorisl, all have drawbacks for me and I want to use the brass and bullets I have to start out. Thanks for JB Weld hint.

Top Bottom