Reliable adhesive for tube wraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

I have had really poor luck with various adhesives, trying to stick "stuff" to tubes.

CA works good, but tends to foul some wraps and sticks my fingers together..
I used some gold leaf spray on adhesive with mixed results (mostly bad, see below)
I tried some E-6000 with poor success.

I thought I had snakeskins down, till last night. I cast 8 and to my horror the combination of gold leaf spray adhesive and alumilite ruined the snakeskin. they did not adhere to the tube and shrank along the length of the tube, exposing about 1/4 inch on each end of the tube.

I have also had various things glued to the tubes (ribbon, paper, money, etc) and most of the time the tube comes partially unwrapped during the casting phase with alumilite.

I'd appreciate a lead on good, reliable adhesive.

Thanks
Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

I glue stuff to tubes with thin CA. I use the little plastic bags that come with pen kits (clear ones - I don't want any printing to come off) to hold everything tight while the CA sets. CA doesn't stick to the bags so they peel right off. Just be careful not to use too much glue or the heat from curing can melt the plastic. This method also keeps the glue off my fingers.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Crashmph

Recently I put together one of the "Stars and Stripes" pens and had about 8 big cracks in the star section. I used the plastic wrap that furniture movers use to wrap legs together. Think syran wrap on a 3 inch long roll; CA still will not stick to this stuff. I pulled of about 10-12" and then stretched it to a string like material. CA still will not stick to this stuff as a string. I then wrapped the stars blank with the "string" very tightly after applying a little bit of thin CA. For me this method works like a charm. I see no reason why it will not work for you. Just where gloves to keep the CA off of your fingers.

jleiwig

Why not just use the alumalite as your glue? can't you just paint it onto the back of the skins and then position it and let it kick, and then cast it?

TomW

Why not just use the alumalite as your glue? can't you just paint it onto the back of the skins and then position it and let it kick, and then cast it?

Wow...I've got absolutely no idea.... wouldnt be hard to try.

Tom

its_virgil

I cast several things in clear polyresin and use CA to glue the "stuff" to the tubes. I've had no problems at all with the "stuff" sticking...it has all worked great. Rumor has it that snake skins do not do well with alumalite not does other "stuff" wrapped to the tubes. Mind you, I've never cast alumalite...I see no reason to when I get such excellent results with polyresin. I know...I know....the smell! Not a problem for me.

I recently cast several sets of snake skins for another and he glued the skins to the tubes using a glue called leather weld and the castings were fine. Eco-Flo Leather Weld is what he used and it is available from Tandy Leather Factory stores and online. Other places may also carry it. Good luck with your delima.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have had really poor luck with various adhesivesthe tubes using, trying to stick "stuff" to tubes.

CA works good, but tends to foul some wraps and sticks my fingers together..
I used some gold leaf spray on adhesive with mixed results (mostly bad, see below)
I tried some E-6000 with poor success.

I thought I had snakeskins down, till last night. I cast 8 and to my horror the combination of gold leaf spray adhesive and alumilite ruined the snakeskin. they did not adhere to the tube and shrank along the length of the tube, exposing about 1/4 inch on each end of the tube.

I have also had various things glued to the tubes (ribbon, paper, money, etc) and most of the time the tube comes partially unwrapped during the casting phase with alumilite.

I'd appreciate a lead on good, reliable adhesive.

Thanks
Tom

Top Bottom