Reed assemblies for game calls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mason Kuettel

Mason Kuettel

I am looking for complete reed assemblies to make some duck calls. I know there are a few from HUT and one CSUSA, but those are ones where you build your own stopper and body. I don't particularly like those too much because of the tuning issue...I can't do it, so I am looking for options where that is not required! I would like to find a name brand (AKA nice call) so the tuning is slim to none.

Any help on where to find them would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dustygoose

I have used the ones from Hutt and they tune easy enough. Instead of using the turning kit they have (the expanding rubber) I made a set of bushings from scrap wood and turn on a mandrel. I use the supplied turning kit to sand and finish

BSea

I have used the ones from Hutt and they tune easy enough. Instead of using the turning kit they have (the expanding rubber) I made a set of bushings from scrap wood and turn on a mandrel. I use the supplied turning kit to sand and finish
Sounds like a demo to me.

fernhills

Echo, also thogamecalls, webfoot .. Do a google search for game call and people will come out of wood work offering their help. Good luck. Carl

C.W.McClellan

You probably won't like this but here goes: I was once told by an old craftsman if you are going to make something and say you hand crafted it -then make it yourself .
When you turn a piece and add anothers product -you ar not crafting yourself.
Learn to turn the piece -then be proud of saying I crafted this .If not order the tone boards already turned ,run down to lowes and get piece of plastic conduct cut and assemble --same thing . Sorry to blow bubbles but craft is learning and doing .

Mason Kuettel

You probably won't like this but here goes: I was once told by an old craftsman if you are going to make something and say you hand crafted it -then make it yourself .
When you turn a piece and add anothers product -you ar not crafting yourself.
Learn to turn the piece -then be proud of saying I crafted this .If not order the tone boards already turned ,run down to lowes and get piece of plastic conduct cut and assemble --same thing . Sorry to blow bubbles but craft is learning and doing .

I won't disagree too much with you, BUT, I have not and will not claim to have "crafted" a duck call when I build one this way. Using this argument, only a select few on this forum are true craftsmen because we take something someone else made (component sets) and create a pen instead of making it 100% in shop.

I know my limits at this time and am choosing to use a proven assembly to make my calls sound as good as I can. My job is to make it look good, someone else's job to make it sound good. If you have looked at some of the great calls made by the guys at Duck Commander you will know that a lot of them are about function, not style. I have been asked to make one for both.

When I sell these calls I will be able to say that I crafted the body and (insert company name) made the reed assembly. Like I said, don't completely disagree with you but I won't be claiming anything that I haven't created.

dogcatcher

If you don't know how to use a duck call, how will you know if it is a good sounding call or is it just a pretty ornament? Even with plug and play guts you won't always make a good sounding call.

Mason Kuettel

If you don't know how to use a duck call, how will you know if it is a good sounding call or is it just a pretty ornament? Even with plug and play guts you won't always make a good sounding call.

I know the basics of how to use one and how they work (tone board most important for sound, etc...). I am not as experienced as some of my duck hunting friends and relatives who have graciously offered their services to help me learn how to tune them!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom