Redwood Burl Stabilizing Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have done a sample to do a comparison for those that think Redwood can't be stabilized. The weight increase is 157.7%

The first Photo is a piece of Natural Redwood Burl - Not Stabilized

The second photo is a piece of Dyed-Stabilized Redwood burl Look at the weight difference.

Both pieces has the same dimensions.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 549
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I dont think it was really a question of can it be done but can it be done DIY style by someone in a cost effective manner. I believe this is likely using the process of placing the burl under 5000PSI that you talked about yesterday. I can't do that in my shop. I tried 2 pieces using vacuum w/ no success and so have a few others and w/out commercial equipment I dont know how to reach 5000PSI to do it w/ pressure.

To answer your question about homemade. I have made my own equipment to do small quantity samples. I use vacuum and pressure and the pump I have also made to get to 3000 to 5000 psi. You just need a metal lathe but to make these cost money and might not be worth it for the DIY person.

Everything I do in my shop is "DIY ":biggrin::rolleyes:

Live2Dive

I gave it a try and realized that it seems like too much effort for the end result. I will give stabilization another try in the future, but probably on something a bit more user friendly. If I am going to DIY something in my shop, I would rather it be in casting or something much more creative than trying to cram juice into a piece of wood and hope it cures before leaking out. Good job for you though Constant!

Just another update, I have tried a different resin Yesterday and got an weight increase of 189% on the redwood burl.
I did not go as high with the pressure but left it in over night under pressure and some more pressure this morning.

jhprice

I love redwood burl. Just wondering what it looks like after cutting and turning. After turning I usually hit it with mineral oil to pop the texture.

conandy

not to nitpick...

Sorry to nitpick your statement just a touch: you got an increase OF 57.7%. The total weight is now 157.7% of the original.

Otherwise, pretty cool. Now let's see what you can turn from that block!

Willee

Would not vacuum work better than pressure?
When you apple pressure the air in the wood would compress and when the pressure was relieved it would push the liquid back out of the wood.

It would seem that if you drew a vacuum the air would be drawn out of the wood and when the vacuum was released the liquid would be forced or drawn into the wood.

Two or three cycles should do it.

Willee

Would not vacuum work better than pressure?
When you apple pressure the air in the wood would compress and when the pressure was relieved it would push the liquid back out of the wood.

It would seem that if you drew a vacuum the air would be drawn out of the wood and when the vacuum was released the liquid would be forced or drawn into the wood.

Two or three cycles should do it.

Willee

Well that is what I do, first pull a vacuum then introduce the liquid resin/dye and then apply the pressure. That gives you the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom