recycle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

I know this this is sick , but I pick up my acrylic shavings and save them, so I made a new mold from an ice cube tray and I cast the
shavings for a confetti pen blank.
I will cut and turn soon!
Comments and shavings welcome!
DSC09885.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

Its a good idea. I've been saving drill cuttings too. The longer curly ones should make for a nice effect. Although one you are into the blank a little and using water to cool, as I do, the texture of the cuttings does change.

MobilMan

It'll sho be different. Bet it will look nice. Funny thing, just today I threw a hugh pile in the trash & wondered if it could be cast. I don't cast [with a pole either] but wondered. It also had a lot of shavings from corian mixed in. Now, you got me to thinking.

JohnU

Ive done this a couple times but found that the shavings blend into the new pr pretty good because they are so thin. I had to paint my tubes to cover the brass color that was showing through the shavings. Works well and a great way to get more out of your blanks. Im looking forward to seeing a pen soon!

alamocdc

I do that on ocassion as well, and I've gotten mixed results. Sometimes you get a very cool looking blank and other times, like John said, the scraps blend in with the new resing too much and it looks rather blah. This one looks to have promise.

follow3

I made a blank this past week:

I saved drill shavings from a red blank and a blue blank and cast them in a nice pearl white. I cast 2 stopper blanks. They turned out great. I have turned one stopper and I love it.

I can't wait to try some other combinations.

Steve

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
sparhawk,

Clean out your dust collector before turning your colored blanks. Turn it on and turn. You have all the collection right there ready to drop into your molds!

GK

Top Bottom