Question on Pepper Mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ngeb528

ngeb528

My hubby and I made a couple of pepper mills a couple of years ago and we can't remember if you have to cut the tenon, separate it from the blank and drill the holes (in that order) or if we just drilled a pilot hole before we cut the tenon from the base.

The instructions are really confusing.

Any reminder or advise would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting started on a amboyna burl and purpleheart mill and don't want to mess it up.

Thanks,
Nancy

ahoiberg

if you can PM me (or just post) your email address, I have a great tutorial that ed brown put together to forward to you, it covers all the detail. it used to be on the site somewhere but i can't find it. i'm pretty sure i drilled any holes after i separated the two pieces.

Nancy,
The tutorials are great and show great detail... when I make my mills, I turn the blank round, mark it for the tenon and cut the tenon, then part off the top portion. I then drill the bottom blank. Then switch the blanks and drill the cap portion. I make almost all of my pepper mills from the crush grind mechanism... but I only use two drill bits on the bottom instead of the three that the instructions call for... I drill the large hole at the bottom, the drill through with the next size. The tenon on the cap is sized to fit inside the through hole. The tenon is big enough that you can then drill it for the cap piece.
I hope this makes sense... I just got up and am only on second cup of coffee.

Top Bottom