Question of letters on a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
First, thank you all for continuing to make this the best pen turning forum in the universe!

I'd appreciate any input on a question I have about a fountain pen I am planning for a friend. I want to add the Greek letters for a college fraternity somewhere on the pen. I haven't settled on the method of how just yet (decal, laser, inlay, etc.) - but I'm more unsettled on placement (where on the cap or barrel of the pen) and positioning (horizontal vs. vertical) of the letters - what would look best, and keep the pen "elegant" for presentation and use. Is the traditional placement (horizontal, on either side of the cap's clip) the best? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

When I engrave pens for people, I usually ask whether the pen's ultimate owner is right or left-handed. Then I suggest that it be engraved such that the text is readable when he is holding it in his writing hand. That typically means engraving on the side of the upper barrel (not opposite the clip). Which side depends on how the owner writes.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Thanks Eric. By "upper barrel", do you mean in proximity to the section/nib end of the barrel, or adjacent to the clip on that cap? Assuming the cap is posted and "clip up" for writing, the latter makes sense - and what I meant as "traditional". Would you do the same thing if the cap is non-postable?

Sylvanite

Thanks Eric. By "upper barrel", do you mean in proximity to the section/nib end of the barrel, or adjacent to the clip on that cap? Assuming the cap is posted and "clip up" for writing, the latter makes sense - and what I meant as "traditional". Would you do the same thing if the cap is non-postable?
For a capped pen, I mean the cap. For a non-postable pen, I still typically engrave the cap in the same orientation. That is how people typically view the pen when presented.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom