question for you technical persons...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've been using Outlook Express as my email carrier for years... last couple of days, I can still receive, but the outbound portion has become corrupted or something and I cannot send... just found out that OE is no longer supported and is effectively a dead program.

Any recommendations for a good mail server?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Most carriers offer a web based email program that is pretty robust, so you wouldn't need software on your system. Alternatively, Open Office has an email program that is free. You might do a check on cnet.com and see what their top recommended free email programs are.

Harry

jaeger

When I lost outlook I went with Thunderbird. I had never heard of it before but found out it is tied in with Firefox. I was able to use my same email address as before and it works good. I was not able to import my contact list but since you will be putting it on the same machine, you should be able to. I lost outlook because the whole computer crashed. On my iPhone I went with G mail and I like that although I don't use it as much. I used an easy to remember email address on this mail server because I use it mainly Pen related and The idea was to be able to just tell somebody my email addy if I didn't have business cards available, which I usually do.
Now with my IPhone I can check both emails :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

76winger

You didn't say what version of Windows you're running but Outlook Express was replace by "Windows Live Mail" on newer versions of Windows. In particular I've got Windows 7 and that's what it has. I skipped Windows Vista and haven't played much windows 8, so can't say for certain, but I "think" they have the Windows Live Mail as well.

I tried Thuderbird at one time and it's not too bad of an email program. It's made by Mozilla, the same group that makes the Firefox browser. Thus the reason they seem "tied together" as mentioned above.

I personally use the full blown Outlook that comes with Microsoft Office. I really like the way it works better and I"m used to it since it's what we use at work. But if you're happy with Outlook Express, Thunderbird should work nicely for you. If you've got an older Windows XP based PC and decide it's time to upgrade, Windows Live Mail will come with it and should work good for you also.

Dave Turner

I used to use Outlook Express many years ago. Then I switched to Thunderbird, since I was a Firefox user. Thunderbird is no longer being developed although still is a viable option and a very nice free program. About 5 years ago I switched to a cloud-based mail service and like it better than a local mail program. I like the flexibility of being able to access my mail from multiple computers, tablets and phones. For free service, I think Gmail is one of the better ones. I use the paid version of Yahoo mail (Yahoo Mail Plus - $20 a year). This gives me a lot of additional features, the one I use most being multiple address aliases. Each time I sign up for any online account, I use a different email address. This lets me easily know the origin of emails I receive. I can easily delete an address that becomes annoying.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I recommend Thunderbird as well. i have multiple email accounts and it will pull all of them in and let me know how many new messages are in each. I am not the most computer literate person on the website. I have been happier with it than OE and I liked OE I was used to it.

Outlook Express is just a piece of client software. I would suggest that you do a google search for "email client open source windows" and see what comes up. There is Thunderbird which I use and many others Evolution is another big name is email clients but there are hundreds. Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
Here is one link for you that comes up right off the bat with that search in google. I am not aware that Thunderbird is not being supported? I hope it is as that is what I use?

monophoto

I'm convinced that all e-mail solutions are flawed. Based on experience.

One option is to do a thorough housecleaning on your computer (its best to have this done by professionals - I've been happy with Staples, unhappy with Geek Squad). That will entail reinstalling the operating system and Office, and that may fix your problem.

If not, then you need to look for an alternate. Thunderbird is now known as Eudora OCE and is a free download. It works well, but the interface is not the same as Outlook Express so you have to learn something new. It is possible to migrate from Outlook or Outlook Express to Eudora, but my experience is that migration in the reverse direction does not always work.

Another option is to switch to one of the free webmail services. The best is Gmail (a Google product). You access it via your browser (it works with any browser, but the interface with Chrome is seamless), and you can also access it using a mobile device.

Thanks all for the info... my son also recommended the Yahoo and/or Gmail... he's in the business so guess I'll go with one of them.

I use an older computer with XP on it, I like it and don't plan to update as long as the computer holds out....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Call your email host support --- there is a change needed in your set up and they will walk you through it. I also am using XP on my computer. It took about 10 minutes on the phone. I know it is true if you're using comcast.net and I'm sure for others also. I had the same problem a few days ago.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks all for the info... my son also recommended the Yahoo and/or Gmail... he's in the business so guess I'll go with one of them.

I use an older computer with XP on it, I like it and don't plan to update as long as the computer holds out....
You can go with them and also keep IE. I have accounts on both but still use IE for all my personal emails....it is a real pain to get all the people you know to change.

I'm convinced that all e-mail solutions are flawed. Based on experience.

One option is to do a thorough housecleaning on your computer (its best to have this done by professionals - I've been happy with Staples, unhappy with Geek Squad). That will entail reinstalling the operating system and Office, and that may fix your problem.

If not, then you need to look for an alternate. Thunderbird is now known as Eudora OCE and is a free download. It works well, but the interface is not the same as Outlook Express so you have to learn something new. It is possible to migrate from Outlook or Outlook Express to Eudora, but my experience is that migration in the reverse direction does not always work.

Another option is to switch to one of the free webmail services. The best is Gmail (a Google product). You access it via your browser (it works with any browser, but the interface with Chrome is seamless), and you can also access it using a mobile device.

Where do you find that Thunderbird is now Eudora OCE I cannot find any information on that? Eudora is based on Thunderbird but you can get Thunderbird seperately for windows.

Last edited:

flyitfast

Call your email host support --- there is a change needed in your set up and they will walk you through it. I also am using XP on my computer. It took about 10 minutes on the phone. I know it is true if you're using comcast.net and I'm sure for others also. I had the same problem a few days ago.

Agree - go to the ISP that supports your email. Recently changed to AT&T Uverse and had the same problem mentioned. They actuallly dialed in to my computer and made some changes and all was well and happy again. Don't remember all the changes they made, but it involved the POP addresses.
Good luck
gordon

Top Bottom