Question for the knife makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
All the guides I have seen, recommend using a belt sander to get the scales to match the profile of the tang after getting close with a bandsaw / scroll saw.

Since I don't have a belt sander I ended up using a router table and a flush trim bit, used the tang as a template with the cutter just a little lower than the tang. Took just seconds to get a perfect fit. I followed up with a 1/4" round over bit. This got me pretty close to final scale shape and profile, I just needed to do a little filing on the pins and some hand sanding.

Is there anything really wrong with this approach to get the scales to fit and get a start on a constent profile before doing any special blending?

fiferb

I haven't made any knife scales but it sounds pretty smart to me. I think you have to be extra cautious during setup so as to not hit the tang. Please post a picture when you're done.

TomS

The biggest advantage to using a belt sander is the time saved. I have a big grinder that has 8", 3", and 1" wheels I can interchange, and do all the shaping, and sanding on the scales, and also do all the work needed to make blades.

Tom

Top Bottom