Question before Purchase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

heritagebob

Has anyone ever use a Pantograph? Is Milescraft the only one that makes this machine? Are they difficult to use? Do they work? Any advice, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I have pretty much no need for a pantograph, but I ran across a discussion about building this one from scratch a while back and I am really tempted to put one together when I get the new shop up and running.

plantman

I have several units that I have purchased over the years, and one that I custom made and mounted to my drafting table. The secret to using them is starting with a secure mounting point. They do take up a considerable amount of room to operate depending on the size difference of what you are transfering. The ratio is scaled on the pantograph itself and should be easy to figure out once you use it. My question is, what do you want to do with it ??? These can usualy be found at any store that offers art or drafting supplys. If you want to make your own, you can make it to any scale or ratio you want. Jim S

Olsarge

I was given one about 10 years ago and have never used it. There were a couple of times I could have, but setting it up would take longer than using a copier and taping the pages together. JMO. Dennis

sbell111

I think that we are talking about two different kinds of pantographs. I was referring to the kind that you attach a router two and make things with. Others, I think, are referring o the kind where you can trace a picture with a pencil.

plantman

the one I am looking at is the router type... Sears has it for 60 bucks

I have both the drafting and router types. They are based on the same design , with the router version being much larger. You can scale down in order to use a Dremmel tool or a trim router also. All work fine if you have a strong mounting point and plenty of room. I have used them to cut patterns in door fronts and small boxes. I have had the Sears one for over 20 years, but don't use it that much any more. I also, at one time, had a router setup that was a pantoghaph that would copy any object in 3D using a diamond stylist. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom