Found my paint pot!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

Ok, so Craigslist is a positive at times! I found a Binks paint pot in great shape, double regulator, double hoses to a Binks 2001 spray handle for $40. I just have to get one 1/2 and one 3/8 inch pipe plugs and I am good to go. I still have to figure out how to keep the air from shooting straight down as it is a different type of fitting than any of the examples in the library. It has one center connection point into the lid that is about 1 1/4 and in that it has just an opening straight down and then a hole for the paint tube that extends from the top. Plugging the paint tube is no issue as it unscrews completely and just leaves the 1/2 threaded hub at the bottom. It says on it that it is rated to 80 PSI but I doubt I will use that much pressure ever. The seal appears to be soft and pliable.

I saw the identical setup listed last month for $350 without the hoses. I think I made a great purchase!

Oh.. and on my way to my truck, what do I see but tons of small and large as well as some really grey old weathered pine cones. I guess I know what my first casting will be using with the setup!

Attachments

• Paint Pot.jpg
    Paint Pot.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I am going to try threading it, but there are two holes, different sizes and connected about 3/8 inch up inside them with about an 1/8 inch hole. I will figure something out I am sure
I do like the t idea if I can figure out how to attach

TimS124

Can you move the regulators over to the side that used to have the paint pickup tube? Since the underside of that hole is thread, it would be easy to use that to attach an elbow under the lid. Plug the other side completely or keep the pop off valve, etc on that side (to simplify what's stacked on the other side).

wyone

Ok so I was able to plug all the excess holes and made a deflector basically. The tube where the pain tube goes in is threaded, but not at the top of the pot lid. The paint tube actually extends probably 1 inch into the casting at the top. What I ended up doing is grinding a 3/8 nut down to basically hardly anything, and slid it into the paint hose connection at the top. I put a nut, and made a steel plate to cover both the paint opening and the air opening leaving about 3/8 gap between the top of the pot and the top of the plate. I then had to modify the plug that I used to plug the paint hose connection point. All in all, it works great. I had no leaks after 2 hours. I actually have a mold in the pot now at 40 PSI and will check on it in a couple hours. :)

THanks for all the suggestions

sbell111

I just cover my molds with a BLAST SHIELD. Basically just a round piece of mdf with dowels that go to the bottom. It's ugly, but it works.

When I first built my pot, I would just lay a piece of waxed paper on top of the mold. It worked, but I was always stressed that it would fail, so I elbowed up.

Top Bottom