Question about cutting up a burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from xmaddchillx

xmaddchillx

Im debating on buying a laurel burl and cutting it into blanks.

It measures 34" x 8" x 1-13/16"

Anyone have ideas on how exactly I should cut it so I don't have too much waste?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

exoticwo

You do not state what kind of blanks you would cut from this piece.
So, my suggestion is if you want Bowl/Plate blanks you cut a round 8" template out of thin plywood and get several nice sized blanks OR if wanting to cut for pen blanks you will have to look for the best figure in the piece and then decide where to cut first to minimize waste.
If you wish to cut the whole thing into pen blanks then you first need to cut one straight edge then decide what thickness blanks you want/need and then start strip cutting and adjusting the thickness of cut for bigger blanks as you go along.
The thickness you list will yield two blanks per strip cut, adjusted on sized required for type of pens you will be making. Right down the middle will be Appx. 7/8", plenty enough for must pens.
Once you strip cut you can cut strips to blank length, short/odd sized pieces are always good for Key chains,segmented pens, small Finials, etc..

Hope this helps in some small way,

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
If you are going to be makig pens out of it, I would advise cutting it so you get the best figure in the blanks. I know that getting the most blanks out of a piece of wood is what we usually want to do, but getting the best blanks out of the wood will be more rewarding in the end.

GouletPens

Send it to me and I'll cut it for you....of course it may be a couple pounds lighter when you get it back....y'know, cuz of the waste from the blade:wink::wink::wink:

Top Bottom