PVC Slimline glue up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daledut

Status
Not open for further replies.

daledut

I made my first PVC glue up. It is a slimline kit. I cut the pieces on a band saw and then just glued them together using Medium CA. The glue seems to melt the pvc just enough to make a very tight looking seem.

Comments are welcome... and I know where you can get some pvc blanks;)

Image Insert:
200491154042_pvc%20slimline.jpg

35.38KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daledut

Thank you all for the comments.

Wayne, I must read like you spell, because I thought it did say "sharp" until you pointed it out.

As to colors I am hoping for a supply next week. Apparently all the colors are not normally in stock, but have a good supply on order.

daledut

There are a couple things I found that should be kept in mind when using PVC. First, it is softer than many other materials and you can dig into it very easily. Keep sharp tools and use them in bevel rubbing mode rather than scraping. Use a light touch and even strokes.

Stop the lathe often to remove the ribbons of plastic.

I like to use a skew to smooth it as my final cut.

For finishing I sanded from 220 to about 600 (actually MM2400) then I buffed. When sanding, use relatively slow speed and a light touch and keep it moving. I wet sanded using water.

I don't have the fancy Beall buffing system. Mine is a Harbor freight special. It is a 4" loose wheel on an arbor that has a 1/4" shaft. I put the wheel in my collet chuck and buff on the lathe. Keep the pen at a 45 deg. angle to the rotation of the wheel. I use the blue "plastic" buffing compound also from HF. Use a light touch and keep it moving.

I like the PVC, but it actually takes me longer than wood. But I readily admit I am not great with plastic materials of any kind.

Adam

this is a very nice pen Mr.Dutridge i hope some day my tools ( saws and sanders) will be inline and acurate enough to make a pen like that

Nice work keep it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom