pvc problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dozuki

I thought I would try to cast using some pvc pipe. So got some 1/4 and 3/4 inch pipe and cut it to length. I wrapped the bottoms with duct tape and mixed up some of michaels casting resing and poured to blanks with pepper flakes. Now it is a couple days later and it seems to have hardened up nicely. Only one little problem. I can't get the new blank out of the pipe . Is there some trick to making the pvc let go. Any and all help would be apreciated.

Thanks for the help. Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

The only thing I could figure out what to do when that happened to me was to cut off the PVC from around the blank. One cut on each side, just enough to touch the blank then stick a screwdriver in the cut and pry away...

DurocShark

I've never had to do anything with PVC or ABS pipe. If it sticks it usually means the pipe bent a bit. A wood dowel and a mallet pop the blank out easy.

snyiper

Could always split the pipe length wise and when you pour put hose clamps around it. when it is set up undo the clamps should pop right out. I would always use a release if possible.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Fred,

We also gave up on PVC, AFTER I tried "turning it off" and realized there was a legal risk there, if we marketed it.

PTownSubbie

Fred,

We also gave up on PVC, AFTER I tried "turning it off" and realized there was a legal risk there, if we marketed it.

I have tried to turn it off and pound it out. Nothing worked well. I ended up destroying the PVC with a chisel to remove the blanks.

Since then, I have since figured out a way to make a silicone mold the same size as the PVC. I like the idea of not wasting the corners with material and resin.

Sort of overboard but I figured, why not give it a try.

cnirenberg

Here's what I have done. I take a short piec of 3/4" all thread or fitted rebar and use it along with a small sledgehammer and lightly tap it out. I do this while the cast is still warm. At this point in your timeline you will probably get some cracks throughout the casting. I also have used pam, pastewax prior to pouring.

AceMrFixIt

I have used WD40 and vasiline as release agents. Worked for me. I use CPVC 3/4 inch. Dont know if the different type of pipe makes a differecne but it may be something to concider..

cnirenberg

I have used WD40 and vasiline as release agents. Worked for me. I use CPVC 3/4 inch. Dont know if the different type of pipe makes a differecne but it may be something to concider..

CPVC has worked better for me than plain vanilla PVC-It gets real hot and tends to warp.

AceMrFixIt

That may be the issue, CPVC is designed for hot/cold water, PVC is for cold only. That has got to have an affect. Good job Chris, I didnt think about the heat buildup.

Top Bottom