Puzzle #6

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
404 error! :mad:

It appears that we may have set the expiration time at 9:59 rather than 10:59.

If Curtis is unable to reset it in time, you may send your entries to me by PM until 10:59 PM Central. Another 45 minutes

Edgar

markgum

well,,, my mind is zapped.... You win, this is the dozey.. can't find the correct photo.
must sleep.. have a wild work Friday . dang day job...

switch62

I'll just wait for the answer to come out in the next 10 minutes. It's Friday afternoon here and my brain has shut down for the weekend :)
Trying for 2 days (sort of) and still can't find the photo.

Last edited:

Krash

Ok, I call uncle. I've searched every way I know how and can't find the photo. I submitted one that was close but no cigar (ha ha ha). :biggrin:

I can't wait to see the answer. It is beyond me.

Nighty night!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Ok, I call uncle. I've searched every way I know how and can't find the photo. I submitted one that was close but no cigar (ha ha ha). :biggrin:

I can't wait to see the answer. It is beyond me.

Nighty night!

Don't go away though - all will be revealed shortly :biggrin:

Leo S. Long

Well, I am done! Going to get a good night sleep and slap myself in the mourning. Very frustrating but fun. Finished the puzzle early about 1 a.m. looked all day, hints did not help me. But like someone else said it was fun and seen a lot of nice pens. looking forward to two more puzzles, just hope they are not as frustrating.

Leo

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Well the old tick-tock on the wall says that it's 11 pm here in South Texas, so this puzzle is now closed and no further entries will be accepted.

Congratulations to those who managed to successfully complete this puzzle and thanks to all the rest of you for trying so hard.

Results will be announced a little later, but stay tuned for a special message from the man behind the curtain ......

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Folks, sorry if I my choice of pictures for this puzzle was too hard or frustrating! It really was quite easy. Edgar gave hints to help you out:

Ask yourself some questions like ..

What do we celebrate in February each year? The BEGINNING of IAP
Why do we have all these great contests? To celebrate the BEGINNING of IAP and have a place to SHOW OFF YOUR PENS, share your ideas, and learn.

Does this give you more hints? I will let you think on it a little longer before I show exactly but you should be able to figure it out easily with these hints.

Skeleton2014

You guys have a little mean streak in you... Found it in about 10 seconds and about 4 clicks. The funny part is that I was going to guess him but, my box is in a weird place to begin with. So, thinking outside of it doesn't mean much to me anymore!
Jeff

The Penguin

I've got a new emoticon for you.

it's probably not in the library - so you'll have to use your imagination.

:thefinger:

that's probably easier to figure out than the "clue" for this puzzle

:tongue:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
This pen was posted by Jeff in Show Off Your Pens on 1/1/2004. It was the BEGINNING of IAP and the first photo ever posted in SOYP.

200411171021_bluepen.jpg

To find the answer, you needed to browse to Show Off Your Pens and click on the Last Page Button and then open the very first thread in SOYP ever posted.

So, the correct answer is JEFF

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Four clicks - no typing
FORUM
SHOW OFF YOUR PENS
LAST PAGE
FIRST POST (at the bottom of the page)

The hint to review some of the other BASH contests was a veiled reference to Trivia Contest #2. The hope was that if you thought to browse the Trivia Contests, that perhaps a reminder that one of Jeff's pens was featured in that contest might help you realize what the other hints meant as well. Or at least give you a good candidate for a SWAG. :wink:

The Penguin

Four clicks - no typing
FORUM
SHOW OFF YOUR PENS
LAST PAGE

The hint to review some of the other BASH contests was a veiled reference to Trivia Contest #2. The hope was that if you thought to browse the Trivia Contests, that perhaps a reminder that one of Jeff's pens was featured in that contest might help you realize what the other hints meant as well. Or at least give you a good candidate for a SWAG. :wink:
VERY thinly veiled.

Trivia contest #2 out of what...7 days of trivia, 5 other puzzles, and 10+ other BASH contests...plus there some links to some previous BASH contests if you know where to look.

so very thinly veiled.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Four clicks - no typing
FORUM
SHOW OFF YOUR PENS
LAST PAGE

VERY thinly veiled.

Trivia contest #2 out of what...7 days of trivia, 5 other puzzles, and 10+ other BASH contests...plus there some links to some previous BASH contests if you know where to look.

so very thinly veiled.

Waa, waa, waa! :rotfl:

markgum

excellent job in making it more difficult. guess my xxxxx answers was wrong.:eek:
Thanks Curtis and Edgar for challenging us. looking forward to more puzzles.

SteveJ

That was an amazingly twisted puzzle. So far outside the box it didn't enter my mind. So challenging that I woke up this morning still thinking about it. I hope today's isn't quite so hard!

Sylvanite

I missed the hint too, but here's how I solved the puzzle:

I asked myself what would I do, if I were creating it. What is the sneakiest, most devious, most misdirecting curve-ball that I could throw at the membership? Then I delved into the darkest, most twisted and malicious depths of my imagination to pull up two options. The first idea led me down a rathole for half an hour, but after I exhausted it, I tried the second. Four clicks later and I had the answer.

I thought it was pretty apparent that the background had been replaced in the puzzle photo. The pen's edges had been clipped, the reflections were off, and the black was too uniform. It looked like the resolution may have been changed as well. I figured Ed had done that to keep Google image search from finding the photo.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Then again I almost guessed 'edohmann', 'MesquiteMan', 'alankulwicki7', 'Harry The Llama'.
I finally guessed ToddM based on this picture....

After searching the images, I had a list of 12 possible members, based on pictures of similar looking pens. The closest match I found was wood-of-1kind, and I was about to submit that guess until I tried the above puzzle solving technique.

Regards,
Eric

alankulwicki7

I also figured that the background was cropped. Even though I searched the all sorts of photos, I missed that one from Jeff.

I knew these guys could be pretty devious but I just kept going down the wrong path.

Oh, well. I can still try for second place. Or third. Or fourth. Or last:)

southernclay

I almost guessed Jeff as a smart aleck answer......I need to trust my smart aleckness more :biggrin:

If Jeff ever posts a pen in SOYP again I hope he uses the color and pen kit name in his description, I tried every combination of blue or cigar or blue cigar I could think of. Nice one guys!

darrin1200

I definitely need to be Gibbs slapped.

I thought about it being one of the original pen postings. I spent two hours trying to "search" for an old picture using the obvious key words (cigar, blue etc).
In my haste to use my intellect and ingenuity to come up with the correct search phrase, it never dawned on me to just go to the last page of the subform (ie..the oldest)

We definitly need a head slap smiley.

Well done, a good puzzle is one that is so simple, it stumps.

And thank you for the easy puzzle 7, my head needed a break.:)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I missed the hint too, but here's how I solved the puzzle:

I asked myself what would I do, if I were creating it. What is the sneakiest, most devious, most misdirecting curve-ball that I could throw at the membership? Then I delved into the darkest, most twisted and malicious depths of my imagination to pull up two options. The first idea led me down a rathole for half an hour, but after I exhausted it, I tried the second. Four clicks later and I had the answer.

I thought it was pretty apparent that the background had been replaced in the puzzle photo. The pen's edges had been clipped, the reflections were off, and the black was too uniform. It looked like the resolution may have been changed as well. I figured Ed had done that to keep Google image search from finding the photo.

Regards,
Eric

It was actually Curtis who came up with the idea of using the very first SYOP image - it just happened to be Jeff's which made it even sweeter. We didn't know that would be the case going in.

The background and image size wouldn't have worked well for a jigsaw, so we discussed the idea of changing the background & image size to fit the jigsaw proportions and using a solid black background just to make the puzzle itself a little more challenging.

Curtis did all the image editing on this one - in fact, Curtis did almost all the brainstorming and work behind this particular puzzle. We did work together on the concept and the hints.

Curtis is a true puzzlemeister and I'm enjoying this opportunity to learn from him. :biggrin:

Top Bottom