Puzzle #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

Finally got it. I didn't see the "Check Puzzle" at the bottom. Turned out that I had 3 other words wrong. Finally got it finished.

Jim

Pete275

I finished the rest of this puzzle at about 7:00 pm and have spent the rest of the time trying to figure out the dad gum 12 letter word, Somehow I think I'm looking in all the wrong places. My hopes of getting this one done are slowly fading away.
if anyone has any good clues it would really be appreciated.

Wayne

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
No more hints tonight. I haven't decided yet if I will post another hint tomorrow.

After all, this is a contest and it's about solving puzzles. I don't want to make it so easy that it simply becomes a general random draw event.

You still have a little over 12 hours to think about it and ponder the hints that have been given so far.

Good luck
Edgar

alphageek

Former Moderator
images

GRRRR... I don't get a lot of fun these days.... but I thought this would be fun. I think I was wrong! The devil may be in the details, but he sure is having fun torturing me from whereever the details are!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I took a look at it and thought I recognized a couple of the names of Girls I had dated in high school. THen I realized thats not what it was after all.

jcm71

Finally got it, thanks to the Penguin. However, I think Edgar is both the Joker and the Riddler in one package.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Two hours to go.

Some of you are going to want to kick yourselves (or me) when you find out how simple that 12-letter word actually is. :devil:

alphageek

Former Moderator
is there a LINE for kicking??

I'm pretty sure that there is...

I managed to get a different 9 letter word to fit the C & N well, but would have to chop off the last 3 letters :biggrin:

That or the middle part of my latest answer makes sense, but the first letters and the last letters are all just swear words!

Skeleton2014

Two hours to go.

Some of you are going to want to kick yourselves (or me) when you find out how simple that 12-letter word actually is. :devil:

Well, guess this frees me up to enter a couple of other contests this week...Got to take my son to the airport. When I come back I'll get in the kicking line and bend over. :mad::mad:
Jeff

gwilki

I've been away, and just saw the puzzle. However, even with time left, the link in the first post goes to a 404 error, so I guess that I'm saved the frustration.l

Sylvanite

well I find OTHER words that fit as well. but darn thing keeps saying I am WRONG...
Here are 92 12-letter words that fit:

accelerandos accordionist accrescences accurateness accursedness ascensionday ascertaining backwardness becomingness bicentennial cuckoopintle decaffeinate decillionths decisiveness decitizenise decitizenize decompounded decorousness decreasingly decrepitness decrescendos enchantingly encrimsoning encumbrancer encumbrances encurtaining exclusionary exclusionism exclusionist excrescences excursionise excursionist excursionize faceflannels factiousness fecklessness incisiveness incoherences incoherently inconcinnity inconcinnous inconstantly incoordinate increasingly jackrobinson lucklessness lycopodineae macmillanite mechatronics microgranite microprinted mucilaginous onceaccented piccaninnies pickaninnies rachmaninoff receptionist recessionals recessionary rechallenged rechallenges recitingnote recklessness rocketranges saccharinity secessionism secessionist seclusionist secondbanana secondtonone sectarianise sectarianism sectarianize sociableness succinctness tactlessness technojunkie technomaniac ticklishness ulcerousness uncandidness unchallenged unchangingly unchasteness uncomeliness uncommonness uncompounded unconcerning uncovenanted unctuousness uncurtaining victorianism

Unfortunately, they are all wrong (although "lucklessness", and "ulcerousness" do seem strangely appropriate) :biggrin:

Skeleton2014

How about extending the contest another 6-8 hrs? Can I bribe anyone with a SFRB of blanks for that 12 letter word?
Jeff

What blanks are you offering? Since I've been on the loser train for a few years, perhaps this is a way to at least get something from the bash!

I can do wood or acrylics or a combo of both. Have a lot of George's Bits of Timber blanks that I have not been able to get to. Pretty much your choice but, offer only good if Edgar extends the contest again...I'm on the road taking my son to the airport.
Jeff:)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
And the 12-letter word was.....

TICKLE TONGUE (without the space)

I knew that you would probably have to do a little extra searching for this one and this is about the scenario that I expected you would have to go through:

I figured that you would likely start with a Google lookup of "Aralia spinosa" and probably get to this page:
Aralia spinosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where you would find words like Devil's Walkingstick, Hercules' Club, Prickly Ash, Prickly Elder and Toothache Tree.

Obviously none of those were the answer, so you may have clicked on the link at that page for Zanthoxylum clava-herculis Zanthoxylum clava-herculis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Where you might find additional words like pepperwood and tingle tongue. Those don't work either, but tingle tongue is sure close.

So if you only looked at those Wikipedia pages, you probably weren't able to come up with the answer. However, if you did another Google search on any of those words, especially Prickly Ash, Toothache Tree or Tingle Tongue you would get some hits that contain "Tickle Tongue" without having to even click on those links.

All of my hints were an effort to point out that the actual species for 12-letter word was something other than Aralia spinosa without specifically stating that fact. In addition to my hints, Sylvanite in post #11 and The Penguin in post #91 did specifically point out that the answer was in a different species.

There were a couple of little tricks in this word – the use of a different species and combining two words into one, but those tactics were also used for a couple of other words in this puzzle (Alamo and Live Oak). I hoped that the fact that you had to deal with those tricks in a couple of other words would help here too.

I really didn't expect this puzzle to be as hard as it seemed to be, but a good puzzle should be somewhat challenging, so I really don't have any apologies. I do hope you had some fun in here somewhere.

Thanks for playing

Edgar

Sataro

I gave up on it last night! I had thought maybe I should have shown my 6th grade class the puzzle & have them work it for me! But then I was afraid I wouldn't be as smart as my 6th grade class...

Top Bottom