PTownSubbie's Retirement Chest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MrsPTownSubbie

I don't post often but have to show everyone Fred's retirement chest. He will be retiring from the Navy on August 28th and he's made this keepsake chest to hold his shadow box containing all his medals and other favorite collectibles gathered over the last 28 years in the military. We are all proud of his service to our country and of the fine example of his talent shown here in his flat work.
:usflag:

Tina Wissen
Mrs PTownSubbie

Attachments

• _MG_7058_800.jpg
    _MG_7058_800.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 540
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

Tina, that is beautiful work there. My last assignment in the Army was at a Joint Command. I made one for the Navy Captain I worked for upon his retirement. Many complimented me for my work, but I feel my work pales in comparison to that craftsmanship. I'd love to see some shots of the inside of the chest if PTownSubbie would allow it. Seeing some of the keepsakes in my shadow box and others always brings a smile to my face and the feelings/thoughts that my 25 years were all worth it. Some of the stories behind the smallest or "dumbest" keepsakes are some of the best.

Tina, that is beautiful work there. My last assignment in the Army was at a Joint Command. I made one for the Navy Captain I worked for upon his retirement. Many complimented me for my work, but I feel my work pales in comparison to that craftsmanship. I'd love to see some shots of the inside of the chest if PTownSubbie would allow it. Seeing some of the keepsakes in my shadow box and others always brings a smile to my face and the feelings/thoughts that my 25 years were all worth it. Some of the stories behind the smallest or "dumbest" keepsakes are some of the best.

Tradition and last minute details delegates the shadow box will not be revealed until Wednesday but I can certainly share more photos then.

I had been reminded of another of PTownSubbie's photo album previously posted of an empty shadow box / keepsake chest if you all want a "sneak peak" of the inside design of the chest.

IAP Home - Photos - Keepsake Chest

PTownSubbie

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I didn't have to make my own shadowbox but by making this myself, I got exactly what Tina and I wanted! It has been stressful the last couple weeks with the end of my career coming up quickly!

I have a strong feeling that this ceremony will be very emotional for me. I am not certain anyone will want to see that! :eek: We will see how it turns out though.

The NAVY is all I have known for the last 28 years and walking out of work today was surreal for me. I knew walking out that door that I couldn't come back in and I had a feeling that I have never felt before..... Can't put my finger on what it is but the feeling of excitement, reservation, happiness and sadness all at once was weird to say the least.

Maybe that means I can spend some more time here and making some pens or some more flatwork!

Thanks again!

jsolie

That's a beautiful chest, and I hope you post the video of your retirement ceremony online. My family and I went to a Navy retirement ceremony down in San Diego (Camp Pendleton, actually) a couple of years ago, so I know how moving they can be.

walshjp17

I have a strong feeling that this ceremony will be very emotional for me. I am not certain anyone will want to see that! :eek: We will see how it turns out though.

It certainly was for me. I swore up and down it would not happen, but it did. Being piped over the side is something you will never forget.

My father was at the ceremony and he retired as a Capt. in the reserves but was never piped over, so the CO at SurfWarDevGru allowed him to accompany me through the ranks. Talk about Niagara Falls!!

Congratulations on a long and successful career.

cwolfs69

congratulations Fred. sorry i cannot make it. what you are feeling is the most horrible wonderful exciting dreadful day of your life. but it gets better every day you are retired and at some point you will say, "boy am i glad".

Good Luck in whatever you do.

AKBeaver

My wife and I had the honor of attending today's ceremony! It was one of the best retirement ceremonies I have attended. The command and crew gave an emotional and well deserved send off. The chest and shadow box are fantastic.

Fred and Tina, take some time to enjoy your well deserved break in employment. Go on that trip and do get lost ( but not too lost ). You will be amazed on what you will find in your attempt to become unlost.

Thank you both for your 28 years of service, and welcome to the retired military life.

Fair skies and following seas.

Dave Beaver, CWO4, USCG (Ret)

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I had been reminded of another of PTownSubbie's photo album previously posted of an empty shadow box / keepsake chest if you all want a "sneak peak" of the inside design of the chest.

IAP Home - Photos - Keepsake Chest

Okay folks, our keepsake chest has come back home and is safely tucked away in its new location in the living room. Local folks who could not attend ceremony are welcome to come by for a firsthand viewing if they like, but here's a quick photo of the keepsake chest with shadow box for the rest.

Attachments

• freds_chest_800.jpg
    freds_chest_800.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 176

Alzey

Congratulations and Thank You, to you and your family, for the dedication and sacrifices you have all made in service to this great country.

Beautiful work on the chest. It will be handed down for many generations.

Now go enjoy your retirement, your duty shift is complete.

Fair winds and following seas.

Alzey
USAF Vet and Brat

Top Bottom