PSI Collet Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pete275

I am interested in getting into more custom penmaking and was wondering what the pros and cons of the PSI collet chuck were. I know for my budget the PSI system is right but if the Beall is that much better then maybe I should bite the bullet and buy that one. Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Wayne --

If you have a lathe with a 1 1/4 by 8 headstock, look at the CUSA collet chuck. ( Or if you might upgrade in the near future)

PenMan1

I own the PSI, the CSUSA and the Beall collet chucks. Personally, I'd pass on the PSI chuck. It doesn't run nearly as true as the Beall and is also a "knuckle buster" when working on small delicate projects.

If money is a bigger concern than owning quality tools, why not buy the American made Beall chuck body and then the Chinese collets from 800 Watt? The price is close and you end up with a quality tool.

airborne_r6

If you plan on buying a full set of collets, buy the Beall chuck, the price ends up being the same in the end.

Example:
PSI chuck with 5 collets: $72.36 (Amazon)
Apprentice Chuck with 5 collets: $89.90 (CraftSupplies)
Beall chuck with no collets: $82.90 (CraftSupplies)
Collet set 18pcs fractional: $120.84 (ebay)

PSI chuck plus collet set: $193.20
Apprentice chuck plus collet set: $210.74
Beall chuck plus collet set: $203.74

The difference is with the Beall chuck you get no collets and with the PSI and Apprentice chucks you get 5 collets in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" sizes.

If you don't plan on ordering a full set of collets and price is your main consideration then get the PSI or Apprentice set. If you are planning on ordering a full set of collets why not get the Beall chuck? You only save $7 buy ordering the PSI, and end up having 5 redundant collets kicking around the shop.

Top Bottom