proof of concept The Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Having made the parts for a roller ball click pen that seperated in the middle I decided to make a long click version. I made a silver adapter to match the chrome click mechanism, soldered a clip directly to the adapter and turned a new nib that is drilled and tapped to take the m8 x .75 threads as well as drilled for the refill and spring sizes. In the first picture you see the parts that make up the pen. The front brass adapter,front return spring, silver nose cone, refill, rear spring,the clip/bushing adapter. and the Schmidt click mechanism.
pen%252051%2520-1.JPG

In my last thread on this concept Skip mentioned the rear spring as bieng there for cushion for personal writing styles. When I pulled a spring out as luck would have it it fits right up around the stem of the click mechanism and sholders on the clip on the stem.
pen%252051-2.JPG

The pen bieng assembled
pen%252051-3.JPG

pictures of the finished pen
pen%252051-4.JPG
pen%252051-6.JPG

pen%252051-8.JPG

The blank was left overs from my grandchildren's pen making and my wife has claimed it for work. There are a couple rough spots I need to work out for future production but it was a fun proiject and i started and finished it in one day. Thats pretty quick for most of my pens.
Questions, comments, all are welcome.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Seamus Take another look I hit the submit button instead of the preview button and I had to add some more stuff.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
But Yes it does work just fine. The lower spring gives before the top one when clicking it to advance the refill. then if you have a heavy hand writing the back spring has a little give as you write. When you retract the refill it works just as it should.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice pen Mike. I like that blank. Not sure I understand having two springs. Not surprising?:redface: The silver nose piece I really like.:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
But Yes it does work just fine. The lower spring gives before the top one when clicking it to advance the refill. then if you have a heavy hand writing the back spring has a little give as you write. When you retract the refill it works just as it should.
Got it!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I was able to finish it in a day because I used parts I had on hand and cut them up rather than cast all new ones. The top adapter was a Euro 8mm round finial, I cut, drilled, and tapped. I will have to make up masters and mold them and cast them later. For this pen I would rather have had a stepped nosecone like the Euros or slim lines have. It would have matched the angular clip and click mechanism a little better. THe pen is 5.5inches long and the blank is 4.192

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The drilling on this one was much easier now that I changed the tailstock to a bigger one. I drilled from both ends and Had no lip I could feel where the bit overlapped.

Brooks803

Mike, did you plate the click mech? You mentioned it being chrome and it looks brighter in the last 4 pics and darker in the first 2. The ones I've bought aren't chrome so I was just curious if they came like that or not.

The pen is awesome! I really like what you've done and it's something to ponder when I make my next one.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Brooks I believe they are chrome plated brass. It could be nickle plating but I doubt it.
I have cut them down before and they are brass underneath the plating.

bluwolf

I can take or leave the blank but the rest of it is your usual first class job Mike. How about another one in a nice medium blue:biggrin:

Mike

Top Bottom