Product testers needed for new wood stabilizer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RBoutin

Ultraseal is looking for product testers to evaluate a new wood stabilizer. Unlike R90C, Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser was developed specifically for wood products. It is a thermocuring methacrylate that cures crystal clear and hard, has no fluorescent dyes, and sands and polishes extremely well. We begin shipping to a commercial stabilizer this week. However, it is suitable for home vacuum systems and will be available for online purchase in the coming weeks in 6.6 gallon, 1.0 gallon, and potentially 1 quart sizes. It will be pre-catalyzed meaning it can ship standard UPS ground without hazmat charges. I would like feedback on how the product performs in a home workshop environment, i.e. different types of systems, different wood types, product types, vacuum only or vacuum/pressure, etc. We are not anticipating that this product is suitable for casting due to its rapid cure (although you are welcome to try it with any leftovers).

At this time, I need six people to review the product. You must fit the following parameters.

Requirements:

Please read all of these carefully, and only apply if you fit the following requirements.

You must:
1. have a safe pressure pot setup that is also equipped for vacuum.
2. have experience stabilizing blanks in your home shop using a thermocuring stabilizer.
3. have blanks that need stabilizing on hand.

4. be capable of submitting an evaluation within two weeks of receiving the stabilizer.
5. Provide feedbackdirectly to Ultraseal and also create a product review for this site. Feedback should include type of system, types of wood, process parameters (time, vacuum level, pressure level, etc.), any problems encountered (worked with this wood but not with that, etc.), what you liked, what you might like to see improved, etc.

6. If you finish a product and are happy with the results, we request a few quality photos that we can incorporate into our marketing material.

If you agree to the above requirements, please send me an e-mail (preferred over PM) with your name and address and we will ship by Wednesday one quart of Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser to you free of charge. We will ship domestically or internationally, including overseas to a qualified tester who will provide a timely, accurate, and thoughtful review.

If more than six apply, I will choose six from the applicants.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Bob Boutin
Vice-President Sales
Ultraseal America Inc.
4343 Concourse Drive, Suite 340
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
rboutin@ultrasealant.com
(248)931-1342

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Heck put me at the top of the list.
I have some spalted Maple just waiting for this.
PM on the way

Sure hope this stuff works

Last edited:

RBoutin

I have received about a dozen requests by e-mail since only last night. Thanks to all who have responded so far. We'll be keeping the window open for another day and post by the end of the week with the reviewers' ID's. Thanks, Bob
I'm surprised more haven't stepped forward to get a free quart of stabilizer to try out...

SherryD

You know I have already purchased and will assist in feedback when I receive my order. If you ship Thursday I should have by mid week and will have you feedback within 24 hours. I look forward to receipt of my order. If it does what you have said in our conversations you will have a definite winner. I hope those that do the testing will also share their results in this forum as this has been a secret held by a few for far to long. I have only been stabilizing for a few months but you know the quantity of work that is out there for all to share in is phenomenal. I cant believe the pent up demand that I have uncovered. I now know that the stabilizing that I have paid for has been mixed, some good but most has been mediocre and that is why I ventured into this area. I know by doing this what the difference is now. I know that some of the commercial stabilizers have been satisfied to send out less that the best in the past.

GouletPens

Bob, word on the street is that Ultraseal is the real deal. There have been many, many products tried but from what I understand this one is the first that is actually getting pen turners excited.

RBoutin

Good evening everybody,

Thanks for all the responses requesting to trial Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser. We received several dozen requests and we will end up sending out about 12 quarts for trial instead of the originally planned six. The first five quarts went out today, the remaining will go out Monday (sorry, my son is in a hockey tournament this weekend that starts Friday a.m.). We're really looking forward to everybody's feedback, whether positive or negative. It is truly our desire to make sure our product provides the best mix of benefits for this market so all feedback is taken quite seriously. It's very possible that we'll make some further improvements to the blend based on what we learn from the testers. So thanks again to everybody who showed interest. We're sorry we couldn't supply everyone, but we hope you'll still maintain interest and try it as feedback starts to come in.

Thanks again,

Bob Boutin

Last edited by a moderator:

MyKidsDad

Bob,

Can you share what the price point of your product will be assuming that you don't have to make any changes to the formulation? Thanks in advance.

Oops...never mind. I just saw the edit about posting sales related stuff in the classifieds and went and found your post including pricing in the classified section.

Last edited:

RBoutin

Our friendly moderator informed me that pricing and ordering information needs to be in the Business Classifieds forum, so I just posted it there.

RBoutin

All stabilizer samples have been sent out to testers. If we've contacted you be e-mail or PM, you either have it now or will have it in the next few days.

Thanks to everybody who showed interest. We hope those who were not able to participate in this trial will monitor the product review forum over the next couple weeks and consider purchasing Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser.

For those participating in the trial, please perform the de-gas prior to first use as specified in the instructions that were provided. It will increase the initial hardness of the cured stabilizer and will reduce the cure time. Also, I just ran into a problem with a leaking vacuum bag during curing in hot water. So if you choose to cure in water instead of an oven, take some sandpaper and round off sharp corners prior to stabilizing.

Thanks again and we are looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks about our product.

Bob Boutin,
Vice-President Sales
Ultraseal America Inc.
4343 Concourse Drive, Suite 340
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
(248)931-1342
rboutin@ultrasealant.com

RBoutin

Note to testers!! You received two 1-pint containers to equal the promised quart (we didn't have any quart containers on hand yet). I learned users of R90C apparently receive a "Part A" and "Part B" to mix. You don't need to combine containers, each is already precatalyzed. Sorry for any confusion.

Rick_G

Sounds like it may be good stuff. Don't have a pressure pot but I use one of the food saver vacuum systems for dying with analyne dyes and it works pretty good. May have to get some to try when it comes out.

RBoutin

Sorry, another update for the Ultraseal testers:

The test tube containing the cured stabilizer was simply a gel test run on the stabilizer prior to shipment. The gel test is described in the instructions that were e-mailed out (except we use a test tube instead of a foil thimble). It is included just as a verification that the stabilizer cures in the designated time and with the clarity (clear and without bubbles) we want.

You don't need to do anything with it, you can throw it away if you want.

Thanks for the interim feedback from some of the testers, we're already learning a lot.

GouletPens

Is there any information that those who've already tested can share for those who are about to test? I just got my goods today, and if there is some technique that works better than others I'd rather not repeat others' mistakes since that won't do anyone any good. After all, learning from others' mistakes is what the IAP is all about!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Robert,

Could you consider publishing the directions for use of your product? I am not yet set up for stabilization and would like to see the directions as a way to guide my setup if I choose to get involved in casting and stabilization.

Thank you,

RBoutin

Ultraseal Instructions for Use

Instructions are attached. I've been making small revisions, so I'll continue to post updates as feedback continues to come in.

Robert,

Could you consider publishing the directions for use of your product? I am not yet set up for stabilization and would like to see the directions as a way to guide my setup if I choose to get involved in casting and stabilization.

Thank you,

Attachments

• 2009-04-24 Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser Instructions.pdf
    534.8 KB · Views: 575

Xephius

Is there any information that those who've already tested can share for those who are about to test? I just got my goods today, and if there is some technique that works better than others I'd rather not repeat others' mistakes since that won't do anyone any good. After all, learning from others' mistakes is what the IAP is all about!

You maybe the first, let us know how your tests go! Details, details, details.... My order (not test kit) is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I wanted to try some out before I ordered 4 Gal of the "other stuff". If it works as described, it will be a superior alternate for small shops ordering smaller quantities. Thus far my experience with them has been A+.

I look forward to seeing your results.

-X

Top Bottom