Problems with Churchills, 31/64 ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi All,

I have been working with a set of Churchill pens, all in AA 25 black acrylic from Berea. I tried to turn 10 pen bodies last night, every single one of the pen portions broke though to the tube.

I looked at some of them, I am seeing some potential for failure based on maybe the drill size (31/64) being too large for the tubes having a space or pocket between the tube and drilled hole leaving a gap? I blew all 10 bodies and now wonder is there a preferred drill size to the 31/64th that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Along with Mikes advise make sure there's no wobble in the entrance hole, a dull bit will cause this.

RichB

Also I just start the drill and them realign the drill so in enters the hole straight. Sometimes the drill will pull to one side as it starts, then when you pull it, and put it back in it will slide to one side to find the hole which will make it bigger at the start. I have blown some out at this point when I turn them.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi All,

I have been working with a set of Churchill pens, all in AA 25 black acrylic from Berea. I tried to turn 10 pen bodies last night, every single one of the pen portions broke though to the tube.

I looked at some of them, I am seeing some potential for failure based on maybe the drill size (31/64) being too large for the tubes having a space or pocket between the tube and drilled hole leaving a gap?
I blew all 10 bodies
Hi Jim; Did you do any swearing after blowing that many blanks?

You get an "E" for effort at least. I think I would have quit at 3! :biggrin:I wish I could help, sorry!

Hi All,

I looked at some of them, I am seeing some potential for failure based on maybe the drill size (31/64) being too large for the tubes having a space or pocket between the tube and drilled hole leaving a gap?
I blew all 10 bodies
Hi Jim; Did you do any swearing after blowing that many blanks?

You get an "E" for effort at least. I think I would have quit at 3! :biggrin:I wish I could help, sorry!

It was more forensic Mack, looking to see what I could learn, it was frustrating, but I also needed to understand what went wrong and also get those tubes back! The language was... rated R...

Along with Mikes advise make sure there's no wobble in the entrance hole, a dull bit will cause this.

I think this maybe the issue, the drill is dull... so I am purchasing a new bit today to run some sample sizing tests, also dropping my speed from 800 rpm to 500 rpm... I will see if that works,

THANKS every one for your input, in 15 years of pen making I was amazed how Dumb I felt last night.

I am making 20 pens for a cancer fundraiser in support of close friend I lost a year ago to brain cancer, I am now under the gun for timing

Top Bottom