Probably a really dumb question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgreen

I was looking over the Arizona Silhouette website, putting together my first order and perusing through the blanks something occurred to me:

How do pens that require a larger drill bit fit on the same size mandrel? Do the tubes have different ODs but the same ID? I can't see how having play between the blank and the mandrel would work, so I'm pretty confused. [:I]

Just a curiousity thing, while I am getting all the needed materials together.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clthayer

I am new to pen turning and I had this same question, but I quickly figured it out. The standard mandrels are 7mm, and the slimline and other 7mm tubes slide right on. The larger size pen tubes have bushings that fit into the pen tubes and the bushings are the correct size for the mandrels. Don't forget to purchase the bushings for the kits you are buying.[:)]
Christian

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
For slimline bushings, there are only two dimensions: inside diameter (about 1/4") and an outside diameter which is the dimension of the components. For larger kits, the bushings have a step which results in three measurements: inside diameter (about 1/4" for the "A" mandrel and larger for the Berea "B" mandrel), the a outer step diameter (this step fits inside the appropriate brass tube), then an outside diameter, which, again, matches up with the dimensions of the components. There should be virtually no play in the measurements.

mrgreen

So a bushing set for a pen kit would have a bushing that goes between the tubes and the mandrel, and a bushing for the tip, cap and center to "measure" the width of the finished piece? So a bushing set should have 5 pieces (2 inside "adaptors" and 3 bushings to surround the two blanks?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Usually just 4 bushings. Two step-bushings for the upper blank (one on each end) and two for the bottom (one on each end). If there is a 5th bushing, it is often used for sizing tenons on a few kits that require cutting a tenon. Check out the instructions for the Baron here http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Instructions.htm . It's a pretty good picture of what most of the larger kits will look like. BTW, each kit has different sized bushings!

Russb

Different pen kits may have a different number of bushings depending on the layout of the pen. Follow the directions that come with the pen kit on where to position the bushings. You said something about using the bushings to measure. For a more accurate fit, use a pair of calipers and measure the pen parts to determine the final diameter of the turned blank. I consider the bushings a guide to the final fit. To keep the bushings organized I use coin collector jars labeled with vendor, part number, pen type and number of bushings. As small as they are, they are easlily lost in a pile of shavings.

When I mentor newbies, I recommend they buy their pen kits and supplies from one vendor so the mandrels and bushings fit. When you understand penmaking then you can expand to other vendors for other pen styles and supplies.

mick

Robert, picture it this way, for the larger pens the bushing will have a ID of either 7mm, or 8mm and "fit" inside the pen tubes by stepping down in size as Lou mentioned, while the OD is the desired size of the pen you are making. All the pens I make have bushings available from Woodcraft and fit the 7mm Mandrel. I find it easier this way and will keep using their bushings until I finally decide to make a pen thay don't carry bushings for.[:D]

Skye

We'll try to make this a little easier. While there are 2 different mandrels, the thing your refering to is "How does the cigar pen's tubes fit on a 7mm mandrel?", right?

The bushing here near the mandrel is what you're looking for. The hole in the bushing is still able to fit on the 7mm mandrel, but the bushings fit inside the ends of the pen tubes. The pen tubes never touch the mandrel.

http://www.woodwriteltd.com/images/lathe&acc/Mandrels.JPG

mrgreen

Originally posted by Skye
<br />We'll try to make this a little easier. While there are 2 different mandrels, the thing your refering to is "How does the cigar pen's tubes fit on a 7mm mandrel?", right?

The bushing here near the mandrel is what you're looking for. The hole in the bushing is still able to fit on the 7mm mandrel, but the bushings fit inside the ends of the pen tubes. The pen tubes never touch the mandrel.

http://www.woodwriteltd.com/images/lathe&acc/Mandrels.JPG

Ah, thank you all for describing that. The photo really did it (I'm a very visual person) and it all makes sense now! I was both just curious and also wanted to make sure that I ordered everything I needed to get turning!

While I have a little attention, is there any reason to start with turning slimlines other than they are cheap? This weeks Arizona Silhouette internet deal is for cigar pens ($3 ea) which I think is easily worth the buck or $1.50 over slimlines (especially the cheap 24k gold kits... blech!). If I'm going to do something mind as well give myself every advantage to ending up with an attractive product! [:D]

Oh, and what's the difference between the CA glue sold by the pen kit companies and crazy glue in stores? It's the same chemically, is it just the available thicknesses?

Thanks again,
Rob

Skye

The only reason to go slim over cigar is that there's a lot more you can do with the design of a slim over a cigar. While yoyospin will do darn near anything to a cigar, most people leave that kind of creativity for the slims.

Also, while men love cigars and hate slims, a lot of women prefer slims over cigars. Just fits their hands better.

I dont know that there is a difference in CAs. It may all be the same, I really dont know. I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same thing aside from what you said, the thicknesses.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
CA glue comes in many varieties with the difference being filler material. The more pure the CA is, the better it works...also, often times, the more expensive it is. For the most part you are better off going with the hobby varieties. It's cheaper to buy this stuff in bulk, although keep in mind that CA glue's shelf life is only 6-12 months...closer to 6. One of our regular, contributing members and a feelow penturner (Monty) runs a great page especially for us. The prices are darn near wholesale!

mrgreen

God call on the slims for ladies. I think they are pretty hideous, but I can see where smaller hands might like them. I'm surprised that there would be less to do with a cigar than a slimline, for some reason. Maybe I feel like more wood would give you more lattitude in disgn? I'll be sure to get a little mix of each.

Although I do love those Baron kits. WOW. What a nice looking pen. I may have to throw one of those in the basket for yours truly!

Only reason I ask about the CA is because I saw at walmart today generic brand Super Glue (CA) for $1 for 4 ~.1 (3 grams) tubes. About a quarter the price of the stuff most kit sellers offer. Now, I can understand there may be differences in quality, but if it will hold a tube in the blank with the same strength, I would think it's a pretty
good deal.
Originally posted by Skye
<br />The only reason to go slim over cigar is that there's a lot more you can do with the design of a slim over a cigar. While yoyospin will do darn near anything to a cigar, most people leave that kind of creativity for the slims.

Also, while men love cigars and hate slims, a lot of women prefer slims over cigars. Just fits their hands better.

I dont know that there is a difference in CAs. It may all be the same, I really dont know. I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same thing aside from what you said, the thicknesses.

mrgreen

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />CA glue comes in many varieties with the difference being filler material. The more pure the CA is, the better it works...also, often times, the more expensive it is. For the most part you are better off going with the hobby varieties. It's cheaper to buy this stuff in bulk, although keep in mind that CA glue's shelf life is only 6-12 months...closer to 6. One of our regular, contributing members and a feelow penturner (Monty) runs a great page especially for us. The prices are darn near wholesale!

Ah, that's good to know. I will see if I can find Monty's page... I'm not really sure how much glue I'd use, so I am trying to get a small amount to be sure I'm not wasteful. Once I figure out how much I'd need in 6 months I will get an appropriate sized bottle. :) Thanks!

EDIT: Found his page... you weren't kidding! Great prices... I'll get some from him. So, medium/thick for putting the tubes in and fixing gaps, thin for... finishing?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by mrgreen
<br />So a bushing set for a pen kit would have a bushing that goes between the tubes and the mandrel, and a bushing for the tip, cap and center to "measure" the width of the finished piece? So a bushing set should have 5 pieces (2 inside "adaptors" and 3 bushings to surround the two blanks?

You got a lot of good tips. Another way to help visualize the process is to go to CS website
http://woodturnerscatalog.com/
and download instructions for their pen kits. Once you have seen these parts should start falling into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom