Prepping logs for blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I just scored some buckeye today (not burl but some spalting) and am wondering if I need to do anything when it comes to the bugs and fungus? I am going to seal the ends with anchorseal and try to remove all of the bark that I can. I know that bugs have eaten some of it and I can see some spalting so I am assuming there is fungus there. I want to be able to bring it inside to begin drying but don't want to bring the bugs with it. What do you guys do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

I would rough cut the logs and let them dry outside for a while. I have found that buckeye dries very easily. If you know that you will only make pen blanks, I would cut the wood on the bandsaw to 1" square and 6" long. Then after maybe a week outside, I would haul all the blanks up into the attic and let that heat kill the bugs. That week outside will let you know if the "bugs" are termites. If it is termites, they will be building tunnels to the dirt right away.

rjwolfe3

Well I took all of the bark off of them and sealed the ends. So far I have found potato bugs, millipedes, an ant nest, and white worms. I am thinking that the tree had fallen maybe? The wood was pretty fresh cut, hadn't started checking yet on the ends. I am wondering if I should cut all of it for pen blanks since I would like to make other things with it. What do you all think?

jthompson1995

I'd cut it into blocks/blanks closer to the size you'll use them and re-seal the ends. This will help it take even less time to dry.

As for the size of the blocks, I'd say cut some nice bowl blanks if you can and cut pen/bottlestopper blanks from the rest.

I wouldn't worry about wormholes in any of it, they give "design opportunities" for WW blanks and stone fills on bowls, though you may want to getout/kill the worms to make sure they leave the wood for you.

wb7whi

I was once making a bowl out of locust and I stepped back for a moment evaluating my next cut when a carpenter ant crawled out of the wood. Ended up being a whole nest of them in there. I debated for a moment thinking woodshop...carpenter ants...carpenter ants...woodshop. I killed them all.

bradh

I know they now require wood skids from China to be heat treated to kill off any bugs in the wood. Don't know what temperature you need, but I think the microwave and attic heat comments are on the right track.

jleiwig

I wouldn't stick anything that may have wood eating bugs in it in my attic! I'd green turn the bowls now and cut the rest up for blanks in a small enough size you'll know what's in there.

rjwolfe3

Well, the attic is out since I can't get to it to put blanks in it but I do have it next to a dehumidifier and a fan for now. Once I figure out how I am going to cut it up, I will do so. I am not as concerned with drying it as I am the bugs. Thanks for all of your advice.

jleiwig

Well, the attic is out since I can't get to it to put blanks in it but I do have it next to a dehumidifier and a fan for now. Once I figure out how I am going to cut it up, I will do so. I am not as concerned with drying it as I am the bugs. Thanks for all of your advice.

I know..send half to me!

cnirenberg

Rob,
I have some Rosewood that I sealed the ends with Anchorseal, pulled the bark of and sprayed the crap out of it with insect killer. So far so good, I hit every so often to ckeck for bugs. I have a few mushroom looking things that I may have to take care of though. I'l probably do that this weekend. Thanks for reminding me.

Fred

Get yourself a clean five gallon bucket ... I get mine for free from McDonalds (Pickles come in them). Then get some granulated insect killer from Home Depot. Put a layer of poison in the bottom, then a layer of wood, then another layer of insecticide, another layer of wood, etc. and let the set-up sit outside in the sun for a day or two. No problem with the bugs afterwards. Most grocery stores have cake icing delivered to their bakery dept. in smaller sized buckets and they seem really glad to give the buckets awyway. Now, you can still pay $5.00 or so to Home Depot if you are of that mind set. :)

You can also make your own posion out of Dursban powder mixed with sawdust ... a little Dursban goes a long ways. Then add the wood, sunlight, time and still no more bug problem.

BTW, fire ants are a termites worst enemy ... your's too if they get on you! Hint, hint, hint! This is the ONLY good thing I can find about fire ants. :eek::eek:

I like to cause these little critters a world of hurt since I rebuilt my folks house following an infestation several years ago. They caused me problems and I got my revenge and then some! :biggrin:

Top Bottom