Prehistoric wood sample

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ancientwood

Steve, is way cool IMO! I think that wood is equivalent to meteorite or such. Just due to the origin of the material, and the difficulty and definable rarity of it, I think it would fetch a tremendous price if you did in fact market it.

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of it. How did it finish, was it like any other resin blank since you 'Cactus Juiced' it?

Thanks again for the share brother!!!

It is very delicate and brittle even with the juice in it, but I suspect that I didn't give it long enough in the vacuum chamber.

It's super important to get plenty of CA on the tubes before turning so that it doesn't distribute its self evenly throughout the shop in small chips while on the lathe. You'll never guess how I figured that out...

Fish30114

AW, that is interesting about it being brittle. I guess you never know when you are dealing with 55 Million year old material! I'm sure it was frustrating to blow a couple of pieces of that stuff, hopefully you will have better stabilizing results going forward--I actually thin making a pen or two out of the material is way cool, possibly a knife handle would be equally cool IMO. Good luck as you move forward, and best wishes for getting the green light to 'harvest' some more of it!!

Top Bottom