Dual Stabilizing Chambers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

Does anyone know if you can use 2 of Curtis's Stabilizing chambers at the same time with a T in the vacuum line with one 6 cfm JB vacuum pump?

Thanks,
Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

This is one of those "it should work, but does it?" kinds of questions.

In THEORY, there would be no problem, as the suction should be equal on both chambers. In PRACTICE, however, the use of the "T" section and extra line means that one line will have more resistance than the other. This is due to your typical manufacturing tolerances. A cheap 80 cent T is not built to exacting specifications, because most people don't need that level of accuracy. In your case, however, it would cause one chamber to have significantly more suction than the other, as the pump would naturally be more effective on the chamber with the least resistance.

How significant would this be? From talking to my friends who do a lot of stabilization, they want maximum suction. Therefore, they would not attempt such an experiment. They would either: purchase a larger chamber, or wait until they could afford to purchase an additional pump.

I hope this helps.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, it works just fine. I have a manifold that I make that allows 4 chambers to be run off of the same pump. There are no issues at all. If you were talking about air FLOW, then yes, it would be an issue due to resistance. However, as long as the chambers don't leak, there is virtually no air flow. I have run 4 chambers off of one 3 cfm pump with no issue and have a customer who runs 6 chambers off of one pump and one of those chambers is a 6" ID x 42" chamber. The others are 4" x 42".

The trick to make it work most efficiently is to have a valve for each chamber at the manifold in addition to the one at the chamber itself. You start out with all valves closed. You open one valve and turn on the pump, then get that chamber started with the valve on the lid. Once up to close to full vac, you close off the valve at the manifold, isolating that chamber. You then start the other chamber and once it get to full vac, you close the manifold valve for that chamber. Repeat until all chambers are near full vac, then open all valves and let them run. Then, if one chamber finishes before the others, you simply close that manifold valve off and release it without affecting the other chambers. You can even refill that chamber and repeat the start up procedure to get it going. The one fellow that does 6 keeps his pump running non stop all weekend, rotating chambers in and out as needed.

Last edited:
personally I would put a valve and gauge on each as you may want to initially alter the vac individually because of "boil over".

But like Curtis and others have said, that pump is more than adequate for this task.

scoobydooo9r

Perfect Timing!

Thanks for asking this question Tim, it's perfect timing for me! I've been thinking about expanding my production, but I haven't been too motivated to do much since I thought I could only run one chamber per pump. Thanks to Curtis and others as well for answering the question.

Top Bottom