Double Cast with Alumilite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

Has anyone done a double cast with Alumilite? I want to make some bottlestoppers with an opaque solid colored bottom and a clear top.

I know I can do it with PR but I haven't tried it with alumilite and would like to use it instead.

Can it be done? I have often heard that the two casts will not bond like PR will.....

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micharms

image-2369778563.jpg

Here is an example of one of the many I've double cast. Both parts are Alumilite Clear. There was probably at least an hour between the 2 pours. If you wait longer you might get fracturing between the 2 sections. I had that happen once.
Michael

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've done it numerous times and so far have not had a problem. I have waited days between pouring the colored and clear.

monty opsal

question

what glue do you use to glue the object down before you pour the clear over it?
I want to try doing this with a fly fishing fly. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Monty

crabcreekind

I have had a hard time with alumilite clear actually coming out perfectly clear. But I have done double casts. Alumilite sticks to itself very well, even after the first one is set. You can also cast alumilite clear and alumilite white at the same time while they are both liquid. That turns out pretty cool too.

Attachments

• 100_0218.JPG
    100_0218.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_0216.JPG
    100_0216.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 163

BSea

I have had a hard time with alumilite clear actually coming out perfectly clear. But I have done double casts. Alumilite sticks to itself very well, even after the first one is set. You can also cast alumilite clear and alumilite white at the same time while they are both liquid. That turns out pretty cool too.
That's interesting. I may have to get some alumilite white next time I order.

I have done multiple casts, and it seemed to work just fine. I did mine about 15 minutes apart because I was afraid of separation. It was a real chore, but it worked.

Top Bottom