Prehistoric Series

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bananajeep

bananajeep

Here is a pen I made some time ago and have not shared it yet. Ive seen several other doing similar combinations. Its a Statesman in Irish Bog Oak with Mammoth tusk ivory accent bands. I didn't fill in the oak grain, so the texture is still there. Its a big pen. I finally got some decent photos taken to share.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC_00357392.JPG
    DSC_00357392.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC_00427399.JPG
    DSC_00427399.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

That is really neat. Looks great and made out of some very interesting stuff. Where do you get Woolly Mammoth Ivory? I've seen it on e-bay but didn't know if it was authentic.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You sure DID get some decent photos . I like this pen . The grain looks very nice , and the pen shows good combination . Well done .

Mikey

Love the pen, but considering the materials and the cost/value I would have put a durable finish on there for sure. Being that it looks so rough i'm assuming that you left it natural.

bitshird

That's a cool pen, a very neat combination of materials, IBO is hard to find, but sure gets expensive, I have a pretty good source for Mammoth Ivory but can't connect on the IBO. eBay goes nuts on prices for it.

bananajeep

Thanks for all the kind words.

This pen is the biggest one I've turned so far. But there are big pen fans out there. I finished the pen with several coats of diluted sanding sealer and then buffed with tripoli and white diamond. It retained the texture of the IBO and polished up the ivory nicely. I got the IBO on this forum a while back from PikeBite over in the UK. The mammoth ivory came from my father-in-law. He lived for years up in Fairbanks Alaska. I guess you used to be able to find tusks very easy. Not any more the collectors market has made these quite valuable. I did pick up some more at this year's Tucson, AZ gem and mineral show. Some vendors have totes full of small pieces they sell to knife makers and hobbyists.

The next IBO will have a durable finish on it I'm interested to see how it turnes out. I'm working on an ancient Kauri and mammoth ivory pen too.

Mike

Top Bottom