Practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fernhills

fernhills

These are going to be earrings, Sorta found a new way for me of doing them, but not written in stone yet. I have to see how they hold up. It is Cherry and Acrylic. Carl

Attachments

• 20100721_1.jpg
    20100721_1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Nice Job Carl! Are you going to make a pendant to go with them? It would nice to have a set.
Alice

fernhills

Nice Job Carl! Are you going to make a pendant to go with them? It would nice to have a set.
Alice

I have an extra at that di. i could use, but don`t have anymore of that acrylic. The Earrings are 1" di, i think a larger di would be better for a pendant. Next time i`ll plan some with a larger di. for a pendant. Carl

elody21

Carl,
What if you got some more acrylic and use it for the larger piece and the wood for the smaller one?! I think it would be really sharp.
Alice

I mean to use this for a pendant

I have an extra at that di. i could use, but don`t have anymore of that acrylic. The Earrings are 1" di, i think a larger di would be better for a pendant. Next time i`ll plan some with a larger di. for a pendant. Carl

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I'm guessing router table with a core box bit maybe 3/8" radius to form the cove. Then either turn the acrylic black round, with a matching radius and glue it in. You may have an acrylic blank pre-rounded from the factory in which case all you need do is cut a matching cove in the wood.

There may be some additional router table action to rough the thing a bit before turning a the final spindle which you then slice off bits on a saw.

zombie7986

ive made something like that. i did it by turning the round to the size of a drill bit and drilling the wood to fit it. then turn both together to get the same design for both pieces. how did you do it? im not sure if mine is the easiest way because i cant fully plan the final outcome.

fernhills

I started out with a sq. blank about 1 1/2" and 3" length. I then drilled a 3/4" hole about an inch and quarter deep close to one corner but not so close that it heats up and blows out. I then used C/A to glue the already turned acrylic in the hole. I should of used 30 min epoxy cause it set up fast. Then i mounted the blank BTC and turned down to one inch, so part of the acrylic is turned downed and resembles the profile of somewhat of a half moon. Then you can do the same thing with a different color on the other end and have a double amount. Then i slice it up on the BS. Then sand polish it up with a jig in my club chuck and double faced tape. Here is a diagram. Carl

Attachments

• sketch for earrings.jpg
    sketch for earrings.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 125

fernhills

Hi, sounds like a great idea. However i am not equipped to pour the resin yet, been reading about it though. I would not know how to put the swirls in the resin and know what i have or if it would go with the wood i am using. Casting has always been something i wanted to do, soon. Thanks. Carl

Allenk

Great earrings, Carl! They look smaller than 1", too!

Great idea, Alice. 'Twould be a catchy ensemble, 'twould...
Carl,
What if you got some more acrylic and use it for the larger piece and the wood for the smaller one?! I think it would be really sharp.
Alice

I mean to use this for a pendant

Top Bottom