New Turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pakuma1

pakuma1

This picture is of me and my Grandson making a rocket for Cub Scouts. This is his first expereince with the lathe.
I'm thinking a simple pen next for him. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• J-LG2.jpg
    J-LG2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 316
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

He might be a little old to like it but I made my granddaughters some magic wands and let the oldest one decorate it up with glitter and ribbons.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This picture is of me and my Grandson making a rocket for Cub Scouts. This is his first expereince with the lathe.

Get him a box to stand on!!!

Let him have a little leverage and, with time, he may be able to turn without your guiding hand. But, at that angle, I don't think I could turn!!!!:eek::eek:

After looking at the picture blown up----Did you take a Jet mini and use the head and tailstock, then attach it to a larger lathe for "drive"???

VERY INVENTIVE!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Last edited:

tbroye

I agree with Ed. Make a box for him to stand on. All my grand kid turn pens using smaller tools and the box they are ages 6, 7 (twins) and 9 they do the drilling on the lathe, I glue the tubes (ca glue) get the blank rounded and let the turn to the proper size and the do the polishing and finishing and the assembling. The oldest uses the Bandsaw the cut the blank, I use the belt/disk sander to true the blank. I try to be as safe as possible with what they use.
Have fun it's great to spending quality time with the grandkids.

THarvey

I agree with Ed. Get the young man a box.

One catch with the tool, the way he has to hold it, and he will have a nice bruise on the jaw from the handle (if not a few teeth missing).

Great way to teach the young one. Plus, great memories for him to treasure for the rest of his life.

SDB777

Do you have a photo of the completed project yet?
Would be cool to be a grand-parent at the event where he got to tell everyone how he made that!!!

And yup, a box would have been awesome, he wouldv'e been able to see everything as you were seeing it! It's cool that you showed he proper safety as far as the shield(I ain't worn mine for awhile), and the dust mask(don't think I've ever worm one, can only imagine whats up my nose now?!?!).

Be sure to post some during the flight photo's!!!!

Scott (wish I had someone to teach) B

Allenk

That little guy will treasure these memories all his life. I second the box suggestion.
Good on ya, GrandDad!! A candle holder for Mom would be nice, too!!! Especially if his Mom praises him for his work!!

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
things a kid never forgets, I at almost 60 still remember my Grandad doing things in the shop with me, it was all haand tools no power at all. Cherish..................

nava1uni

Get him a box to stand on!!!

Let him have a little leverage and, with time, he may be able to turn without your guiding hand. But, at that angle, I don't think I could turn!!!!:eek::eek:

After looking at the picture blown up----Did you take a Jet mini and use the head and tailstock, then attach it to a larger lathe for "drive"???

VERY INVENTIVE!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Ed,
That is a Rikon Midi lathe.

Good job turning, I agree about the box and the danger to his face from the height he is now turning. I use a platform made out of 2X4's and 3/4" plywood when I am turning bowls.

Last edited:

Rob73

I'd be interested to see a picture once the rocket is done. I never even thought of a rocket on a lathe. May be a nice project for my friends kids. That is if they could tear themselves away from texting on the cell phone. I miss the days of no cell phones / no computers. Kids are to 'plugged in' these days.

As for more projects I"d just let him look through a kit catalog. Though when I was younger than him I was making mini bats on my fathers lathe, set of nunchucks and just basically enjoyed cutting down his scrap wood to nothing. He may like the kaleidoscope kits, some of the top kits, yo-yo kits and so forth.

Top Bottom