Powder Coat question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

When I get a bad powder coated cartridge I soak it in acetone for a week to remove it. Don't think I answered your question but it might help.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by rherrell

When I get a bad powder coated cartridge I soak it in acetone for a week to remove it.
When I get a bad powder coated cartridge, I soak it in acetone for 10 minutes and the powder-coat rubs right off. Acetone definitely will damage a powder-coat finish. Just wiping a PC finish with acetone can dull it.

Regards,
Eric

rherrell

Yeah, it probably will come off in 10 min., but since I'm only in the shop on weekends I let it sit for a week. All the PC is at the bottom of the jar and there is virtually no cleaning needed.

Sylvanite

Rick,

A longer soak would definitely be easier, but I guess I'm just impatient. I've been powder-coating a lot of rifle cartridges lately, and I have occasionally had a bad batch. When that happens, a short soak in acetone softens the PC enough that it peels right off, almost in one piece. I can usually get the cartridges cleaned, dried, sprayed, and back in the oven in 30 minutes or less.

Anyway, I'm sure we can both testify what acetone will do to powder-paint.

Regards,
Erid

Top Bottom