Finally got a good CA finish! with explination

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kadmos

after massive amounts of frustration I finnally got a finish I am happy with.

Not claiming to be an expert now, but I thought I would share my findings before they become so second nature that I forget to realize them.

The pen was a cigar celtic knot basically hard maple (walnut and maple veneer knot).

Ok so the method

Lathe running fairly slow (800 rpm's seemed good..not to slow, not to fast)

Paper towel folded over to a small palm sized square.

Quick tilt of BLO can pressed onto paper towel...use very little just a dot..like 4-6 drops worth.

a slow swipe from headstock to tailstock.

Now different paper towel folded same way 6 drops of med CA onto the towel and one quick swipe from headstock to tailstock, and it feels like I just sloshed it all onto the rear bushing..but don't worry.

Now here comes the trick, you made your quick swipe now you have to "meld" it in.

Ok before starting any of this, rub your hands together like they are cold....seriously do it, it helps! Ok it's embaressing, I don't care just rub them together! See how you do it real fast with real gentle pressure..THATS what you want to do with the paper towel under the pen, but side to side, not tip to palm.

So you made your 6 drop CA swipe, now start the handwarming to "meld" it. Really fast side to side with real light pressure.

After about a second or two the CA is going to try to grab the paper towel...pucker tight, bite your lip, whatever helps... and move your hand faster...be a man (or woman) and keep going, don't give up, don't press harder!..if anything lighter and faster...and you are now past that point! Keep it up for about 20 seconds and stop the lathe.

Look at and feel the paper towel, it now has dried CA on it and looks like you just used a clear wax to friction polish. Perfect.

Now do it again..twice

little BLO, little CA, a lot of really fast gentle rubbing.

If you did it pretty well you can knock off the high points with 1500 MM and go up to 20 bazillion or whatever it is.

Hopefully it will work for you

main points
1. small amounts of both liquids .....do not overdo it!!!
2. fast light pressure, keep it moving
3. if it's grabbing DON'T PANIC...or go ahead and panic just don't stop rubbing (lightly)

Other things I learned with this pen
1. Celtic knots will not come out right for me...(yet!)
2. Celtic knots will of course look unbalenced if you dip down towards a bushing for half of it.
3. Maple pens with maple and walnut celtic knots don't really go with any color of pen kit that I am aware of.
4. Of course the first pen you do with something new and good about it won't get used for some other reason, like it not going with any color pen kit.
5. Other people, such as my wife, will make you feel worse about it by saying stuff like "wow that turned out reallllllly good, I like the abstract knot, but it doesn't match ANY of these kits you are showing me, which is a shame, and oh did you change the finish, that is really nice..oh well"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kadmos

Sorry no pic, the kid has the camera at grandma's, and there really isn't a pen, just some turned blanks.

Just thought I would try to pass on advice to others who got frustrated and were close to giving up

karlkuehn

Banned
Heh...isn't it funny how we all have these different steps that we find working for us individually? Fast hand, slow hand, ca first, blo first, 4 drops, one drop, stand on one leg, lean into it, close your eyes, gag, cry, pray...

I bet if you put about 30 of us in an auditorium with our own lathes for an exhibition, we'd look like thirty different flavors of medicine men trying to make it rain after a long drought. [:p]

Now, I gotta get back to my dance, the grass is looking a little brown.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by karlkuehn

Heh...isn't it funny how we all have these different steps that we find working for us individually? Fast hand, slow hand, ca first, blo first, 4 drops, one drop, stand on one leg, lean into it, close your eyes, gag, cry, pray...

I bet if you put about 30 of us in an auditorium with our own lathes for an exhibition, we'd look like thirty different flavors of medicine men trying to make it rain after a long drought. [:p]

Now, I gotta get back to my dance, the grass is looking a little brown.

ROFL!!!
roflsmiley.gif

This is so true!

Top Bottom