Poplar Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wildman

Wildman

Poplar Bowl with just sanding sealer, worst than pine to turn.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

That is really pretty. Having never turned anything but hard wood pen blanks and PR blanks I don't know what you mean by "worse than pine" I was wanting to start turning other things, so I want to learn all I can.

Wildman

Poplar a hardwood is as soft or softer than pine. Fingernails sink into this stuff leaving indents. You need to sharpen bowl gouge more often than with most other hardwoods.

Many woodturners refuse to turn poplar or pine. Torn end grain, fighting early –late wood can drive you nuts. Sharp tools, tool control, and light touch required to get smooth finished surface.

Thanks for looking and kind comments.

That is very nice... I really like your shape... I have several bowl blanks in poplar to turn and have done several goblets from a poplar 4x4 that was used as skid for the laths when the contractor put the new metal roof on my house.... I kinda like it to turn.

Try white cedar sometime... it's as fuzzy when you finish turning as it is when you start... no mater how sharp I had my tools, the wood came out fuzzy.... sanded okay though.

animefan

Nice shape to your bowl. The little bit of mineral stain is a nice touch.

PaulDoug

Very nice bowl. I also like the shape. It also amazes me to see bowls make from popular. Around here poplars are a nuisances, coming up everywhere. People plant them because they grow quickly, but soon wish they hadn't. Maybe I will latch on to a few pieces from some that are cut down.

Very nice work on that bowl.

Wildman

Poplar also a nuisance to turn too, but don't let what said above stop you from getting some. I picked up a tree blown down during last hurricane here, easy to split and dries pretty fast. Cost me some sweat equity, bit of fuel for chain saw so delighted with the price.

Wildman

Please scroll down to 2" x 14" Double Bulls Eye Pine Bowl.

http://www.customwooddesign.com/turninggreenwood-1.html

Please scroll down to pine bowls at this link.
http://kawikahuliwood.com/

Not advocating everyone should turn pine, but don't be afraid to try some. Well after seeing what can happen with Norfolk Pine and other pines would like to try some. Live in area Long Leaf Pine and so far avoided turning any, and there is lot to be had for free.

Top Bottom