Plumbing problem--advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

Today while at my cabin I found a leak in s cpvc gate valve. Looked like s pretty simple fix, so I cut out a section of plumbing and drove 30 miles to Lowes. Showed the guy in plumbing the piece I removed and said I needed material to duplicate the piece. He helped get the parts and glue and I was on my way. The joints seemed to be ok until one just seemed "soft" and didn't seem right. I fiddled around for an hour or so and finally got it back together. I looked more closely at the primer and glue he selected for me. They were in a package and the primer says pvc and cpvc, but the glue is only for pvc-------cpvc is not listed. Do I need to start over and redo, or do you think I will be ok. Currently all joints seem fine with no leaks.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If you shut the water off such that if a leak develops while you're gone it won't ruin the cabin. I'd leave it as it is.
Today while at my cabin I found a leak in s cpvc gate valve. Looked like s pretty simple fix, so I cut out a section of plumbing and drove 30 miles to Lowes. Showed the guy in plumbing the piece I removed and said I needed material to duplicate the piece. He helped get the parts and glue and I was on my way. The joints seemed to be ok until one just seemed "soft" and didn't seem right. I fiddled around for an hour or so and finally got it back together. I looked more closely at the primer and glue he selected for me. They were in a package and the primer says pvc and cpvc, but the glue is only for pvc-------cpvc is not listed. Do I need to start over and redo, or do you think I will be ok. Currently all joints seem fine with no leaks.

Thanks for the help

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You need glue that is listed for CPVC. PVC glue may work for a while on CPVC but it will fail.

I just looked that up and you're right.

It looks like the plumbers bounced back and forth some on the question before settling on not using pvc glue on cpvc...he might have a saving grace there having used the right primer....

wyone

I am thinking the same thing.. need CPVC glue.. but the primer is letting it work somewhat. But I would change it. May be able to apply some primer to the joint from the outside and pull the joint apart. I have done that in the past. Then use the right glue. Last thing you want to have to worry about is water leak at the cabin

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks for the responses. I will replace the new section with one using the proper glue.

This whole thread has made me smile....I had a small pvc job to extend where the sump pump pumps out...I bought everything I thought I needed -- found I had bought the primer but no glue.

I just put it together anyway. It works fine and later I found that I want to remove it in the winter anyway and if it was glued, I'd have needed another change.

chartle

I needed to add a outside house connection to the side of my and normally I would run copper or cpvc.

I used pex and sharkbite connections and I'm never going back. Good news is that sharkbite connections work with cpvc.

I know sharkbite costs more than the crimp ones but didn't want to worry about another tool right now and both fittings had to adapt to copper and 1/2 inch IP.

Quickest plumbing I've done. It's like putting together legolegos.

Top Bottom