Votes: 28 36.4%
  • One pen and one blank

Votes: 45 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Although I requested that this fact not be revealed quite yet, the news seems to be spreading that Mark James and I combined our piggy banks and won the auction for the Eagle Blanks. Our intention is for these to get into the IAP Collection in one form or another. Mark and I have not discussed exactly how these should get into the collection (and I didn't tell him I was making this post! Hi Mark! :embarrassed:)

There are a few options:

1 - Ask one of our highly skilled penmakers to turn both into pens.
2 - Put the blanks in the collection as-is.
3 - One as a pen, one as a blank.

I thought I'd spark some discussion, so please vote and comment!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Although I requested that this fact not be revealed quite yet, the news seems to be spreading that Mark James and I combined our piggy banks and won the auction for the Eagle Blanks. Our intention is for these to get into the IAP Collection in one form or another. Mark and I have not discussed exactly how these should get into the collection (and I didn't tell him I was making this post! Hi Mark! :embarrassed:)

There are a few options:

1 - Ask one of our highly skilled penmakers to turn both into pens.
2 - Put the blanks in the collection as-is.
3 - One as a pen, one as a blank.

I thought I'd spark some discussion, so please vote and comment!
What would Eagle have said? I think we all know the answer to that.

BradG

Jeff just food for thought.... but if one of the talented among us volunteered to make a case or display stand for whatever you decide to do with them, I'd happily etch a nice plaque from brass to go on the lid etc

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
I'm sure eagle would have said to turn it. However given that he is no longer with us to make any more, my vote would be one turned one as a blank. He blanks themselves are a source of inspiration and although eagle pens are a rarity, having one of the last remaining unturned blanks is even more so.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Jeff just food for thought.... but if one of the talented among us volunteered to make a case or display stand for whatever you decide to do with them, I'd happily etch a nice plaque from brass to go on the lid etc

Hi Brad! This has been a separate issue that I have been pondering and needs to be presented to the membership, I will start another thread on this topic.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I say keep as blanks. There already is an Eagle wave pen in the collection. Having seen the pen collection up close, I think it might be a good idea to also have a blank collection. If it would make the decision any easier and you decide to go this route, I would donate an Eagle woven wood blank that was one of his last on the condition that it not be turned into a pen.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I say keep as blanks. There already is an Eagle wave pen in the collection. Having seen the pen collection up close, I think it might be a good idea to also have a blank collection. If it would make the decision any easier and you decide to go this route, I would donate an Eagle woven wood blank that was one of his last on the condition that it not be turned into a pen.

And I would add, Roy (OKLAHOMAN) gave me (In the IAP Collection) the "cut-off" from the donation of Eagle's Wave Pen. Seeing the blank from the end is a real lesson on how he crafted the blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
First, I have to say thank you for honoring his talent.
I say 1 and 1.
I also have an Eagle blank off-cut from a pen which I can donate:

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3231/1_EagleWWg.jpg

Please let me know if there is interest in having it for the collection.
Thanks, Gary

I will tell you, Mark and Jeff, that one of Eagle's most closely guarded secrets was the method that would be revealed in the end of a blank. So, these "ends" may be just as important as the blanks. Eagle KNEW he did nothing "new", just took information derived in other woodworking and applied the concepts to pen-blank-making. He expected that any decent woodworker would understand ALL his techniques, if he saw the rudimentary elements. So, "Don't look these gift horses in the mouth"!

FWIW,
Ed

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
First, I have to say thank you for honoring his talent.
I say 1 and 1.
I also have an Eagle blank off-cut from a pen which I can donate:

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3231/1_EagleWWg.jpg

Please let me know if there is interest in having it for the collection.
Thanks, Gary

I will tell you, Mark and Jeff, that one of Eagle's most closely guarded secrets was the method that would be revealed in the end of a blank. So, these "ends" may be just as important as the blanks. Eagle KNEW he did nothing "new", just took information derived in other woodworking and applied the concepts to pen-blank-making. He expected that any decent woodworker would understand ALL his techniques, if he saw the rudimentary elements. So, "Don't look these gift horses in the mouth"!

FWIW,
Ed

Hi Ed:

I'm not too sharp today (why should today be any different), so if you would clarify your thoughts for me:

I understand and appreciate that displaying the "off-cuts" will be very revealing (as I am looking at one now). Are you suggesting that this NOT be done, to preserve Eagle's belief in "Self-Education." Which I can appreciate.

Displaying just the blank will preserve some of the mystery of his technique.

OR, are you suggesting that preserving any "donated" "off-cuts" is a valuable thought, and there is no need to preserve the entire blank if an "off-cut" is available... Just trying to get my empty head around this!

Bruce and Gary - Your thoughts are noted! Let's see how the discussion and poll unfolds. After Jeff gets a sense of the membership's thoughts we can have a separate thread if the membership has a desire for the Collection to have "unique Blanks" as a new addition. An interesting option.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mark,

My opinion is mixed and is of limited value.

I knew Eagle, we talked often and he "swore me to secrecy". I take that very seriously, so I will not tell anyone anything he said in that vein.

HOWEVER (this is important)
Eagle also said (paraphrased), help people help themselves!!

Eagle enjoyed the spotlight that was put on him, AND he enjoyed the "mystery".
I think most of his methods are now commonplace---but his "discovery" of them for penmaking was noteworthy. I think both you and Jeff are going to do what is "right" and, I agree with either decision.

He was secretive--Keep them secret

He loved the limelight, SHOW the simplicity of the methods so others may move forward from the level he left us.

Any position in the IAP collection would have been unexpected (don't cannonize Eagle, his relationship with Jeff was horrible). Jeff is a "big" man to overlook this, Mark. You and he will make a FINE decision and I will agree with it.

If Eagle is looking down on us, he will be enjoying this, immeasurably!! (And that gives me great pleasure)

FWIW,
Ed--FOE
(friend of Eagle)

Last edited:

GaryMGg

Ed & I have similar thoughts on this.
However, Eagle had a funny habit of wanting to share his secrets with those who didn't ask "How did you do that?"
I remember being on the phone with him & having to stop him from telling me how he created certain blanks.

Eagle's greatest concern--beyond folks learning for themselves--was for their safety.
He repeatedly talked with me about a non-woodworker hurting themselves because they didn't have the knowledge & training to use the techniques he was using.

My earlier 'thanks' is because I knew of his relationship with Jeff and Curtis.
Y'all are big men to honor him.

One more thing:
I'm guessing that looking at the end of the blank offcut I kept will help 10 to 20% understand how it works.
The rest will still be wondering.
I don't write that to insult any one; I just don't know that we have a high percent of woodworkers or machinists participants.

Last edited:
Top Bottom