playset ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from glycerine

glycerine

I finally live in a house with a nice back yard, so I'd like to build my daughters a playset since the weather is getting warmer. You know, one of the towers that has a ladder and slide, swings, maybe monkey bars, etc...
I'd like to make it all from scratch. We are renting this house, so I'd like it to dissassemble fairly easily, so I could pack it up in a uhaul when we move again. I'd like to do it fairly cheap. I guess by that, I mean instead of paying $200 for a plastic slide, is there a good way to make one? Would wood with many coats of polyeurethane work? I know Home Depot and similar stores have the "kits", but it seems like most of them don't even include the wood, so I'm left wondering, "what on earth am I paying for?!?!"
I'm just looking for ideas, thoughts, plans, tips and tricks, pictures of yours if you have made one... Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
If you want a set, you can come and get the one in my yard. It's a big set up and I am about ready to take a chainsaw to it and have a bon fire with it, the kids outgrew it.

cnirenberg

Jeremy,
I put 2 together, and they have both lasted about 4 yrs. It was a Kit type from Costco. Mine went through a couple of hurricanes and has seen better days. You may try a craigslist or something like it to see if somebody is getting rid of theirs. The slide is the only real valuable part, and it is a bit hard to get into the trash can. I have rebuilt most of it with PT, it seems that holds up to the elements better than the redwood did.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I built my grandkids one out of scaffolding. Two towers, They can climb all over it, move the planks about, it has 2 connecting bars for walking on and hanging rope swings on. Granted its not something the Jonses wil be trying to keep up with. Plus I have a hook on the tall tower with a notted rope for climbing and swinging on. They use old blankets to make a fort or what ever it is they play at.

lazyguy

The "kit" is the hardware nuts, bolts, mounting brackets, swings, chains and etc. I got mine from 84 lumber. I paid ~ 80 for the kit and I think about 100 for the lumber and spent a Saturday in 90+ putting it together. Didn't help much that was the day our AC broke. It has lasted 7 yrs but the kids hardly ever play on it now. Maybe I'll chop it up for pen blanks.

capcrnch

My nephew recently turned 1 and is starting to find an attraction to swings and playsets...

Just last week I got the OK from my inlaws to go ahead with "Project Pirateship".. Yes, I got the ok to use a 30' x 20' piece of land in the backyard and build a superbadass pirateship playhouse and swingset/slide/whatever.

I'm extremely excited to do this.
Yes, I fully realize that he's too young at 1, but it'll be there for him when he's 2. haha
And, who wouldn't want to build a 20' pirateship in a backyard?

glycerine

Do you have a "kit" or plans or are you making it up as you go...?
My youngest daughter is about 17 months old now and she is climbing on everything!

knifecut

You could make it with wood, but the weather would eventually get to it, sooner rather than later. I'd suggest getting the plastic slides.

Bending and framing wood paneling would make a good tube slide, I reckon.

http://www.swing-n-slide.com/ for example has hardware for making (dis)assembly easier.

Top Bottom