Playing with Fire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I was in a reckless mood yesterday, not only did I attempt a failed coup on wedding planning, I also played with fire in the shop. I made this potpourri bowl out of Canadian Hemlock. Although it was full of worm holes, it did not have much character. I have been wanting to try charring wood and decided to give it a try. I like the zebra effect.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very nice look and it is amazing what you can accomplish by a little embellishment in one manner or other.

The thought of wood charring brought back a few memories. Back in the 70's that technique was all the rage. I use to make rustic patio furniture from old wood wire reels. being an electrician I had plenty access to these and depending on the size wire ordered determined the size reel they would come on. I took quite a few different sizes and made tables and the smaller ones I made seats. At that time we were even a more throw it away society and they just junked those reels. now there is a deposit on them and the contractor wants to get his money back so they watch them. But I use to flame them after they were built. Looked pretty cool and sold a few.

I also use to make a chess table out of them. I would insert a chess board in the top of one and wrap in some rope detail. I did make one for myself. I would have to try to dig up some old still photos of it somewhere to prove this. But it did happen:)

Charlie_W

Wonderful job on the bowl Cody!
The charring really let the grain stand out!

What did you do after the charring? Wax? Spray finish?

On some things, I am using either a Matte finish or a Satin finish spray and lightly buffing. Just a clean wheel or just the Carnuba wax wheel.
This adds a soft sheen but does not have too much shine.

Buff lightly as some finishes don't like heat.

Cwalker935

Wonderful job on the bowl Cody!
The charring really let the grain stand out!

What did you do after the charring? Wax? Spray finish?

On some things, I am using either a Matte finish or a Satin finish spray and lightly buffing. Just a clean wheel or just the Carnuba wax wheel.
This adds a soft sheen but does not have too much shine.

Buff lightly as some finishes don't like heat.

I did a coat of sanding sealer and then WOP.

Top Bottom