Place to buy mineral oil for bowls???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LandfillLumber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

You guys are the best,I know some place had it just thought I'd ask the wise IAP community.I'm making some bowls and spoons so need something as a food safe finish.Thank You again,Victor

THarvey

You guys are the best,I know some place had it just thought I'd ask the wise IAP community.I'm making some bowls and spoons so need something as a food safe finish.Thank You again,Victor

Victor,

My walmart carries it in two versions "thick" and "thin". There is not a clearly visible difference in the two.

However, the "thick" does not seem to soak into dense wood as well. I used the "thin" for everything.

Warning, put some newspaper or something on your lathe bed and floor. This stuff is slick.

Russianwolf

You need mineral oil ?? Okay here's what you do.

1) get a couple 5 gallon buckets and a 22 cal pistol.
2) walk around the neighborhood until you find a pole with a big thingamajig up at the top (that 's a transformer for those of you that don't speak southern)
3) put the buckets under the thingamajig.
4) shoot a hole in the bottom of the thingamajig with the pistol.
5) wait a minute then grab the buckets and run before the cops show up.

You should now have plenty of mineral oil in the buckets, especially if you are a good shot.

(actually I was watching How it's Made one night and they showed the making of the transformers. They are full of mineral oil.)

I love that show how its made.I have been taking apart thing since I was 2,I started with vacuums and thing I picked out of the trash.30 years later and I still love to see how thing work/are made.Oh and I'm a darn good shoot,just slow as a mule,LOL.Thank guys I just picked up some from Walgreens and they had it on sale from about $8 to $3.79.Victor

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus

2) walk around the neighborhood until you find a pole with a big thingamajig up at the top (that 's a transformer for those of you that don't speak southern)

You should now have plenty of mineral oil in the buckets, especially if you are a good shot.

(actually I was watching How it's Made one night and they showed the making of the transformers. They are full of mineral oil.)

Really, that is shocking!! :biggrin:

Just don't stand too close when you pop that thingamajig.... that oil is hot.:eek:
When I was in the navy I saw a guy in the hospital ward where I was that had been too close to one that exploded... he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over about 1/2 his upper chest and back.:bad:

nava1uni

Ikea also sells food safe oil for treating bowls, etc. Not very expensive. A little lighter then mineral. My dishes are made out of myrtle and this oil keeps them nice so that they don't dry out with washing. I use it every few weeks on all of my plates, bowls and wooden cooking utensils.

Longfellow

Mineral oil

When I was growing uo in the 1930's and 1940's as soon as the weather turned cold my mother had a ritual' every evening we had to swallow a teaspoon full of warm mineral oil, a teaspoon full of codliver oil, had drops of hot camproated oil put in each ear and our chest and back were coated with camphorated oil also. If we started having a sore throat our mouth and throat got a good spraying of argaroyle.Talked about biological warefare---I buy my mineral at the pharmacy. It also works as good as Armorall on the plastic in your car

Last edited:

Rcd567

Sorry, new guy here...so you just apply mineral oil to the bowl instead of say linseed oil? And that's your finish? I'm assuming you sand and Micromesh before adding the mineral oil?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but am learning the bowl making thing myself and am curious as to what to use so that we could actually use the bowls for something like a salad bowl. If I'm off base here, tell me.

Just trying to learn.

Bob

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry, new guy here...so you just apply mineral oil to the bowl instead of say linseed oil? And that's your finish? I'm assuming you sand and Micromesh before adding the mineral oil?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but am learning the bowl making thing myself and am curious as to what to use so that we could actually use the bowls for something like a salad bowl. If I'm off base here, tell me.

The mineral oil is food safe. Most don't feel comfortable eating out of bowls
that have been treated with linseed oil. Some people also use walnut oil,
tung oil (pure) or others. But mineral oil is fine for food safe finishing. You
need to apply it a few times.
Someone told me every day for a week, every week for a month, every
month for a year and then once a year. More often if you wash it.

woodale

I've been using mineral oil on wood cutting boards for years. I find it penetrates best after it is warmed up a bit. Pour some in a heat proof bowl, then place it into a larger bowl with hot water (boiling is OK). It can take a couple changes of water to get it warmed through. NEVER put the oil in a microwave or on the stove in a pan. I suppose it might be safe to do it in a double boiler setup, but have never used that much oil at one time.
Flood the surface and keep applying until it stops soaking in. I would do this off lathe, I can only begin to imagine the mess! After a while (I let the boards "soak" for a few hours), wipe dry with paper towel and set aside to let it bleed out as the wood equilibrates. Final step is a quick wash with warm soapy water and air dry.
I re-oil my cutting boards 2-3 times a year. Use and wash them every day.

Seer

Fro what I learned walnut oil can cause a reaction if someone os allergic to it. I use mineral oil on all my spoons and wood utensils I carve, plus it lasts longer throught he use and washings than other oils I have tried. When I put the first oil on I put it in a plastic or glass container that i lay my things in put a cover on it, like plastic wrap or the cover made for it and put it in the sun for a couple of hours (careful it will be hot, lessons learned) because it opens the pors on the wood and sucks in the oil. Well my 2 cents worth

Top Bottom