pink cancer pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

depends on the piece of Pink Ivory that you get, the color can vary a good deal. And yes, being as dense as it is, it can crack just like Ebony in my experience.

Any reason you aren't going with the plastic?

Chasper

My experience is that Pink Ivory is considerably more likely to crack than ebony, but it does not usually crack until after it has been sold. It is pink but much of it tends to be as much brown as pink. I sell a lot of survivor pens, but after some disasters with pink ivory I only use resin now.

smitty

This is one I did a while back it is Pink Ivory cast in white PR.

1_DSCF1159.jpg

fritz64

#1i have never done plastic of any kind #2i am chicken to try it #3 i do have some pink ivory ,but no pink plastic . a friends granddaughter plays softball and her team won a state title and then she had a growth removed that was aslow growth cancer. so i in a kind moment said she needs a pen. pink ivory engraved in vegas.presented to her buy her grampa to be used in her nursing studies. now i have to find my pink ivory and geterdone.

VisExp

Robert, here are a couple of pens that I have made from pink ivory. I have not experienced any issues with cracking and find the wood nice to work with.

1_ACT_669802.jpg

1_red_ivory.jpg

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Robert , I was chicken to turn my first resin or poly pen too . After watching Ed Davidsons tutorial about thirty times , I gave it a try and it worked out . Just do it ! :biggrin:

igran7

I've made several Pink Ivory pens and have not experienced the cracking problem some of the members have. In fact I have a pen that I use occasionally that I made over 4 years ago and it still is as solid as the day I made it.

Rifleman1776

Despite comments above, pink ivory can be counted on to crack 99% of the time.
I do very little with synthetics. But, I am about to start several pink pens, all but one of them will be 'breast cancer' awarness pens.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have turned several pink ivory pens and have never had any of them crack. Most of them have gone to people that would not hesitate to let me know if they did. I don't think that 99% crack rate is accurate.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have had lots of problems with pink ivory. BUT, if I had to make pens from them (and I have had to), I would drill the hole with a little extra room. So, if it tries to shrink, it will not immediately "squeeze the brass tube" and crack.

Of course, the better you finish it, the less chance there is that humidity swings will affect it.

If you are able to make the kinds of laminations that Keith makes, you cut down the chances of cracking, since the wood is already cut in many places. (I can't do that - it's a TALENT problem)

You got the wood, you want to make a pen, go for it!! Several coats of whatever finish you choose.

Pink ivory is great to work with. It takes turns and takes a finish well. I would definitely recommend it. I agree with Neil, I really don't think the 99% crack rate is accurate at all. The crack rate is no where near that for me.

I've turned 4 of 5 pink ivory pens and only one of them has developed a crack. This wood is worth the risk if you ask me.

Ed gave some good tips above, would be a good idea to follow them.

Good luck.

Top Bottom