pine cones?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
so, I was wanting to try casting some pine cones pretty soon. wanted to know the best method. using PR. cast,cut,drill....cut, drill, tube, then cast? anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Not sure there is a "best" way -- depends on what you have and what you want to get from it. I cast sitka Spruce cones in 3/4 inch forms, then drill, paint the inside of the casting, glue in tubes, and turn.

Most pine species cones are larger in diameter and probably will need to be trimmed to fit into the casting form.

Cheap casting form is 3/4 hole drilled into the edge of 2 by stock -- single use, but 3 bucks will buy 8 foot of casting stock -- and about 50 castings. 5 bucks if you want to go for 5 inch lengths (2by6).

workinforwood

I cast open cones all the time. I like open pine cones. I trim them down with the saw to squeeze them in a mold then cast. Like ken, I paint my tubes of course a similar color to what I used to cast the cones. Always paint them tubes! I've cast some clear ones too, those are cool, then paint the tubes for a deep effect. baby pine cones can just be tossed into a bigger mold and poured so they land in various positions and end up looking a bit like roses when turned. As long as the cones are dry, you are good to go. You wouldn't drill most pine cones before you cast them or the cone would fall apart. Those big closed cones, you can flood them with CA and then drill them, but not an open cone. Cones require a finish after they are turned. Alumilite is a better product for casting cones because of all the really tight little spaces..the product gets in there better. But..if you just have PR...it'll work. Worse thing that can happen is you have a couple voids to repair as you spin the pen.

papaturner

Paul, It depends on the pine cone you are going to use. I use the long leaf pine cones which are very large. I don`t cast them at all. I simply cut the cone down to the core, ,drill,cut to length, insert tube, soak with CA and turn. I will soak once or twice during the turning process what ever is needed. I don`t have photos of the process but this is the finished product.
Texas ought to have the Long Leaf Pines to get the cones from. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• slimline.JPG
    slimline.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 167
  • cigar.JPG
    cigar.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom