perfume pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenPauli

I have seen a few perfume pens made and I have made some but was wondering what was the best way to fill them? I have tried dipping the tip in the perfume but seems to be very slow. And have also tried to pour some in the tube but was very difficult. Thanks for all your input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

epson

I posted the same question sometime back. The way to fill it is by dipping the tip in perfume. It is not made for you to pour purfume in the body.

Ryan

I saw these in the last CSUSA cat and thought of an Idea for Christmas. Can those who sale them tell me how they sale for you and are they men that are buying them as gifts or are the woman buying them?

Thanks,
Ryan

woodbutcher

I' m not kidding about this. There is actually a very small funnell available to assist in filling up items like you describe. I actually have one and use it occasionall to refill a cologne atomizer. I don't remember where it came from but any high end departmet store should have them.

Jim[]

angboy

I don't know how they might sell, and this doesn't really answer the original question, but my opinipon, and the opinion of several females I know, are that the ones that are perfume atomizers that have an actual vial in them to hold the perfume, are much more user friendly and worthwhile. The problem with the ones that have those little q-tip type things on the end is that the perfume itself is usually very faint after a short period of time, to the point that it quickly becomes kind of like you're just rubbing something dry on yourself. They'll stay moist only for a short period of time. Also, being on that thing seems to change the actual scent some of the times. The scent ends up more directly exposed to air, which is not good for fragrances if you want them to maintain their original scent. Since there are kits that allow you to make something very similar but where it is actually an atomizer, those would probably be better.

arioux

Hi,

Perfume pen is the only thing i sold so far. And i sold a lot of them. As a matter of fact, i got so many order behind that i don't have time to make that much pen ! :)) They go for $20-$25 depending of shape or wood. They are very popular with women but i sold a few to man that are not afraid to wear cologne. Some business men that i sold to carry it in their suit case. Just make some with straight cut and dark wood ( Walnut, cocobolo, cherry burl etc...)If i can get my digital camera back, i'll start post some pics here. All the comments i had so far are good. Dipping it 2 minutes in the perfume will load them and they usually stay humid for a few weeks (that's from actual custommers). Filling with a funnel migh charge it too much and leak can occur. There are two kits that i know around, the PSI and the Berea. The PSI has a little bigger felt nib than the Berea but they work the same and the Berea is a little cheaper and also comes in chrome.
Mabe i talk to much hehre :))
One thing is sure, get ready with some inventory for the holliday seaon, they should go pretty fast.
Hope this help you

Alfred

wayneis

You will also mess up a nice finish trying to pour perfume in it. My customers say just what Alfred did, fill them as directed and they work fine. Also you need to be sure to use the rubber o-ring or they will for sure dry up. I gave one to my Sister to try out before selling any to get her impression, she liked them as did her Daughters.

Wayne

Randy_

Originally posted by arioux
<br />...i sold a few to man that are not afraid to wear cologne. Some business men that i sold to carry it in their suit case...

Alfred: When I first joined IAP, I suggested that there might be a market for a men's "cologne" pen. Guess everyone thought a newbie couldn't be right and got a bunch of negative and "smart-alec" replies. Thanks for proving my point!!

angboy

It looks like I may be in the minority in my thinking here, which is fine, but I just wanted to share that my experience was not the same as everyone else's. I do agree that the perfume pens are very appealing at first, that's why I bought one and know several other people who did. It's just that long term they didn't seem to stay very popular, at least among the people I know. So I'd be wondering if you'd get repeat buyers. And maybe that's not a concern, I just would think that if you offered something that people did want to buy over again, then you'd get the first time buyers and the repeats. You probably will get a lot of first time buyers, they aren't something that's available on every block, they are attractive and you can make them in attractive colors and everyone will know that their's is unique.

As for the concerns about ruining the finish, the CSUSA catalog has a perfume atomizer that they sell, item 050-7000, and according to the description, the vial is removable, to facilitate refilling and to keep contact away (from the brass parts is what they actually site). I haven't ever actually seen one of these in person, so my only concern about thinking it would be a better choice would be to think about if it would work for a woman to keep in her purse. It'd probably have to be turned a little different from the picture CSUSA shows with the atomizer, since that's more of a shape for sitting on a counter, but I don't see why it couldn't be turned to be more elongated and slim. But it may be that the perfume pen might win out b/c of that issue alone.

Just some ideas to consider.

Ryan

Thanks for everyones imput. I think I will have to give one a try and see how it works out.

Ryan

arioux

When I first joined IAP, I suggested that there might be a market for a men's "cologne" pen. Guess everyone thought a newbie couldn't be right and got a bunch of negative and "smart-alec" replies. Thanks for proving my point!!

Glad to make your point. I have actually sold about 10 of them to men. Just have to make sure that the wood you choose is more dark and viril :)and no fancy lines.
About those little atomizer, i tried them opnce and had a leak problem on one of them, that caused a lady purse to smell for week. Never touched them again. That does not mean that they are not good but the beauty of perfume pen is that you will never have leaking problem.

Alfred

Randy_

Originally posted by arioux
<br />...About those little atomizer, i tried them opnce and had a leak problem on one of them, that caused a lady purse to smell for week. Never touched them again...

I bought a couple of those atomizer kits from PSI and the threads and seals looked so crappy that I was afraid of leaking. I never even bothered to make them up. Maybe the ones from CSUSA are of better quality. Both Berea and CSUSA have a kits they call a perfume holder that look like they would not leak. On the other hand, they appear to be a PIA to use. You have to unscrew two caps to get at the perfume and with the perfume open, you have four little pieces laying around that would be real easy to drop od lose altogether. Guess I need to make up a PP for my self and see how they hold up. I've done several as gifts for friends and never had any complaints; but that might not mean much??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom